Contribute
Register

Windows 7 SP1 clean install and can't download updates. What to do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Clean install of Win7 Pro on a desktop PC. Install chipset and other drivers. Click on check for Windows updates. Wait 12 -36 hours just to even find the correct updates. Then a few more hours to install the updates. Much wasted time. :thumbdown

I've had this experience for over a year now and finally found a workable solution. Follow the guide on the plugable.com website. It's fairly involved but is much faster than waiting 2-3 days to get the updates via the regular Win7 update approach.

http://plugable.com/2016/06/08/windows-7-wont-update-what-to-do/

I have found that with a clean install it is easier, if the install media does not include SP1, to install Win7 leaving the auto updater off, install SP1 then install all 3rd party apps. When I have everything working, turn on auto updates, turn off sleep function, and then turn off the display and walk away. Come back the next day and reboot. Chances are all of the updates have downloaded and are only awaiting the reboot to finish installing.

There is a recent bug with Windows 7 and updating. We had this a few months ago at a client site with exactly the same symptoms.

Its due to the sheer number of updates needed to be downloaded on a fresh install.

I wasn't involved directly but from memory we ended up having to slipstream the updates into the build. The client couldn't goto Windows 10 as their design software was only supported on Windows 7 and they refused to spend approx $5,000 on the latest version. Can't imagine why :)

This sort of thing might help
http://home.arcor.de/skanthak/slipstream.html

Sorry but that's all I can remember from last year. It is solvable and requires you to get the updates from a slighty roundabout way.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back