Graphics
780 Ti Classified
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So after a lot of lurking and ruminating, I'm finally pulling the trigger on my animating/editing/gaming Hack Pro build, and there's one more piece of the puzzle: dual-booting in Windows. The Windows SSD will be primarily for gaming, but I'm eager to see if any features / accelerations of programs like Maya and Adobe CC work better than in OS X.

For the life of me I can't find make or break features that distinguish the two, in part because most searches just turn up people complaining about the UI in 8. So I'm leaning towards Windows 8 simply because of tech support? So I'd love your thoughts on:

7 vs 8 for hackintoshes in particular?
7 vs 8 for anim/video/gaming features?
7 vs 8 for unknown magicks I'm ignorant of?

Thanks!

So after a lot of lurking and ruminating, I'm finally pulling the trigger on my animating/editing/gaming Hack Pro build, and there's one more piece of the puzzle: dual-booting in Windows. The Windows SSD will be primarily for gaming, but I'm eager to see if any features / accelerations of programs like Maya and Adobe CC work better than in OS X.

For the life of me I can't find make or break features that distinguish the two, in part because most searches just turn up people complaining about the UI in 8. So I'm leaning towards Windows 8 simply because of tech support? So I'd love your thoughts on:

7 vs 8 for hackintoshes in particular?
7 vs 8 for anim/video/gaming features?
7 vs 8 for unknown magicks I'm ignorant of?

Thanks!
People who complain about the Metro UI in Win8 just haven't gone in and looked at the possibilities for customizing your settings. You can set it up to boot to your desktop and have minimal differences between how it looks and operates from Win7. Once I got mine set up it was no worse than getting used to the differences between WinXP and Win7.

7 vs 8 for hackintoshes in particular? No difference - either will work and install the same.
7 vs 8 for anim/video/gaming features? Can't tell you as I don't game. Given the upgrades in Win8, go for 8
7 vs 8 for unknown magicks I'm ignorant of? Can't say as I don't know how well you know Win7 - did you pass the MSCE for Win7? :mrgreen: In general - go for 8. There are a lot of apps included in 8 that you will find handy, especially if you own iPhone / iPad, etc type devices.

@Going Bald: Cool, I just now saw this but as it turns out I ended up going with Windows 8.1 and working on it over the weekend...getting close to done, will post soon! :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back