Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA NVS 4200M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
for various reasons i need windows 7 on a 2017 imac it cant be a VM.
ive tried refind bootloader, using a windows2go install on a external usb hd and "upgrading" a win10 bootcamp to win7. the closest i get is it stuck at a black screen no cursor, loading or error indicators.
i have tried adding the unofficial kabylake patch that exists for PCs but this doesnt change anything.

the usb builds boot on older macs i think it has to do with apples efi but i was hoping someone on here may know some unoffical trick i could try to get the OS to boot

thanks

This site is for installing on a PC, not on a "real" Mac of any type.
Your best bet for help is to post on a mac site like Apple Insider, Cult of Mac, MacFixIt, MacRumors, MacWorld, or Apple.com

I know that, but every "Real" Mac forum doesn't want to discuss it because it's not supported by Apple.
Now when you consider what happens at this forum: you deal with the OS in an unofficial/unsupported capacity, you deal with boot loaders and workarounds for things that arn't supported all the time.
So it's definitely the most apt forum to choose, I did try and I believe succeed at choosing the Best subform on the here considering this is a Windows question and I'm trying to install/dual boot it.

I know that, but every "Real" Mac forum doesn't want to discuss it because it's not supported by Apple.
Now when you consider what happens at this forum: you deal with the OS in an unofficial/unsupported capacity, you deal with boot loaders and workarounds for things that arn't supported all the time.
So it's definitely the most apt forum to choose, I did try and I believe succeed at choosing the Best subform on the here considering this is a Windows question and I'm trying to install/dual boot it.
Best to continue with rEFInd - if your hardware is supported by the windows version it should work. Do not use bootcamp (for anything, especially partitioning), EFI boot the installer USB via rEFInd. Going Bald is right though you will get better help with rEFInd elsewhere.

Last edited:
You might also try posting in one of the Mac subforums here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/categories/infinite-loop.7/

Installing Windows on Mac hardware should not be such a problem.
Download the Windows ISO in the flavor you want (Home/pro/ultimate/64 bit or 32 bit). Note that to be legal it must have a key code, usually 5 sets of 5 digits/letters.
Restore the ISO to a DVD or USB.
Boot iMac to desktop, launch bootcamp assistant app and install Windows.

This is not a complicated procedure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back