Contribute
Register

Windows 7 already installed - OSX on second drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everybody!

I'd love to check out the neat OSX, but I'm not sure if it works with my setup.

I have two internal drives, one SSD that has Windows 7 on it and one HDD that is pretty much empty.

Can I, without removing or formatting the SSD, install OSX on the secondary drive?

I'm pretty new to this and I'm generally pretty slow when it comes to computers,
but checking the recommended hardware list makes me think this could work.

Cheers guys and thanks for your patience in advance!

Hey everybody!

I'd love to check out the neat OSX, but I'm not sure if it works with my setup.

I have two internal drives, one SSD that has Windows 7 on it and one HDD that is pretty much empty.

Can I, without removing or formatting the SSD, install OSX on the secondary drive?

I'm pretty new to this and I'm generally pretty slow when it comes to computers,
but checking the recommended hardware list makes me think this could work.

Cheers guys and thanks for your patience in advance!

Depends on your hardware which you failed to place in your profile as the rules require. All that can be said without knowing hardware is: possibly, maybe, maybe not.

I'm sorry to have missed that.

I have an i5-3470 and an nVidia Geforce GTX 650 ti on a Gigabyte H77-Wifi mainboard.
As for storage, the PC has a 128gb SSD and a 250gb HDD and 2*4 gig of ram.

To fill out your profile, roll your mouse over your name in the upper right corner under the search box. Select Settings and then select My Profile in the list on the left side of the settings page. The mainboard goes in the system block.

As for installing OS X on your hardware, use http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html method. When you reboot following installation, suggest you use -v GraphicsEnabler=No boot flags to boot with and select GE=no in MultiBeast.

One thing to remember, disconnect your Windows drive while installing OS X to prevent mistakes. When finished, reconnect the Windows drive, boot to BIOS and make the OS X HDD first in HDD boot order. Hit a key during the Chimera timeout screen to see available OS's to boot (or you can install Instant Menu with MultiBeast to default to the selection screen). Select the System Reserved icon at the Chimera screen to boot Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back