Contribute
Register

Windows 10 Boot Fails in Dual Boot from Clover - if IGPU enabled

• Thread starter Deleted member 188658
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling that I am looking at a similar issue and will try disabling IGPU to get my dual boot to work.
See this topic for more information: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-boots-only-windows-or-osx-on-dual-boot-machine.275452/

Some remarks regarding your issue (maybe unrelated, but could spark new ideas):
- did you check if windows actually is an UEFI install? Run msinfo32.exe in Windows 10.
- did you check if Windows 10 is on a GPT volume? Check with hard drive utility.
(- check for a proper EFI for Windows by looking at these instructions. Don't necessarily follow them, just see if you have the folders and files in the right place on your Mac EFI.)

Disabling IGPU actually solved my issue

How can you do that? If you disable the IGPU then you break the OSX - I assume you have a discrete graphics GTX 970 - as the FBPatcher requires that to make a working configuration.

Unless you are saying you use my hack of disabling the IGPU in the BIOS, then boot Windows from Clover, but when you want to boot OSX you need to enable the IGPU in the BIOS then boot through Clover?

How can you do that? If you disable the IGPU then you break the OSX - I assume you have a discrete graphics GTX 970 - as the FBPatcher requires that to make a working configuration.

Unless you are saying you use my hack of disabling the IGPU in the BIOS, then boot Windows from Clover, but when you want to boot OSX you need to enable the IGPU in the BIOS then boot through Clover?

I think they're suggesting you boot directly to Windows via F12 (I assume that works) and disable the IGPU in the Windows Device Manager and NOT the BIOS. Apparently that worked for another person.

Doh....

First let me apologize to those who may have wasted their time reading this thread.

I have dual boot, Window/OSX Mojave working now from Clover Version 4862.

1. I left the BIOS IGPU Enabled
  2. I booted directly from Windows SSD. Once inside the OS, I used the device manager to disable 4600 IGPU graphics adapter. As others said in this thread, and I kept mis-reading.
  3. I booted from the UEFI Clover SSD. I selected the Windows boot image.
  4. Started the spinning disk, and this time after 4+ minute wait it booted to Windows OS. So the loader must have corrected itself - or something. The device manager shows the 4600 IGPU adapter as disabled.
  5. Rebooted to Clover. Selected OSX disk. Booted to Mojave.

All working it seems.

Only took 18 months and 3 SSDs and 2 Motherboards to get this Z97X system to dual boot.
:headbang:

Sorry for the necropic, but I'm facing a similar issue on more recent hardware : i7-9700 on ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac and I found another workaround.

I wanted the iGPU enabled in both macOS (iMac19,1) and Windows 10 in order to keep the dGPU as quiet as possible.
Everything was fine as long as I kept CSM enabled in BIOS (similar to legacy boot from my readings). Maybe this option can work for you, if you want to keep using your iGPU in Windows.

Then I wanted to disable CSM because it prevent boot/Clover/Os loading screen from using my monitor's native resolution (2560x1440) and I wanted to fix these ugly low res stretched loading screens. So I disabled CSM, and after that no way to boot to Windows from clover, straight from BIOS, or even on a bootable Windows 10 installation media, unless I disable iGPU in BIOS ("iGPU multi-monitor" disabled) or re-enable CSM... First I've read this might be because Windows is installed in legacy mode as @Tachikoma suggested, but wrong, my Windows was UEFI and I had the correct GPT partition. I decided to fresh reinstall Windows while keeping CSM disabled (after all when I first installed it, CSM was enabled) to be absolutely sure it install in UEFI mode. So I had to keep iGPU disabled to boot on the installation media... Installation successful, but the problem remains : cannot boot to Windows with iGPU enabled and CSM disabled. I cant get at the same time correct resolution at boot and a correct iGPU handled by macOS and Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back