GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Hi,

Currently i have Windows 8.1 and OS X Yosemite installed on 1 HDD with Clover as a boot manager. What I want to do is get rid of Yosemite and install Windows 10 in its place. How do I do it? Should I remove Clover and OS X partitions and then just run Win10 installation to create a new NTFS partition and install Win10 into it? Would it work then? I want to be able to choose Win8.1/Win10 on startup and, well... I want my current Win8.1 installation to 'survive' the whole process.

Hi,

Currently i have Windows 8.1 and OS X Yosemite installed on 1 HDD with Clover as a boot manager. What I want to do is get rid of Yosemite and install Windows 10 in its place. How do I do it? Should I remove Clover and OS X partitions and then just run Win10 installation to create a new NTFS partition and install Win10 into it? Would it work then? I want to be able to choose Win8.1/Win10 on startup and, well... I want my current Win8.1 installation to 'survive' the whole process.

Remove Clover. Get Windows 8.1 booting on its own. Then install Windows 10. You'll then be doing dual boot via Windows bootloader.

You could also keep Clover and use it to boot either system although it gets a little tricky as you have to copy EFI/Microsoft to a separate FAT32 partition for each.

OK, but, after removing Clover and OSX, will I have to do anything more in order to have Windows 8.1 booting without problems? I hope I won't have to use BCDEDIT - once I had to use it, I followed some tutorials, but it always gave me different results than it was described on websites - eventually I had to reinstall Windows. I don't want to do it this time. I have installed Win 8.1 with UEFI.

OK, but, after removing Clover and OSX, will I have to do anything more in order to have Windows 8.1 booting without problems? I hope I won't have to use BCDEDIT - once I had to use it, I followed some tutorials, but it always gave me different results than it was described on websites - eventually I had to reinstall Windows. I don't want to do it this time. I have installed Win 8.1 with UEFI.
Boot OS X
mount the EFI partition
delete Clover EFI folder
shutdown
powerup
Win8.1 should boot. If it does not, use the install media to repair the boot sector
in Windows, open the disk management tool
format the OS X partition NTFS
Install Win10 on the NTFS (old OS X) partition.

Boot OS X
mount the EFI partition
delete Clover EFI folder
shutdown
powerup
Win8.1 should boot. If it does not, use the install media to repair the boot sector
in Windows, open the disk management tool
format the OS X partition NTFS
Install Win10 on the NTFS (old OS X) partition.

I'll do that and get back here to tell you if it worked out well.

Sorry, for double post, but I just have a question:
you wrote "delete EFI clover folder". Which one is it? Should I remove the whole EFI folder on EFI Partition or maybe I should delete just the Clover folder which is inside the EFI folder on EFI partition?

Sorry, for double post, but I just have a question:
you wrote "delete EFI clover folder". Which one is it? Should I remove the whole EFI folder on EFI Partition or maybe I should delete just the Clover folder which is inside the EFI folder on EFI partition?
entire EFI folder if it does not have a Microsoft folder. If there is a Microsoft folder you need it to boot Windows, so just delete the Clover folder

entire EFI folder if it does not have a Microsoft folder. If there is a Microsoft folder you need it to boot Windows, so just delete the Clover folder

I deleted just Clover folder. After reboot there still was Clover (but it had simpler theme). I booted Windows 8.1, deleted OS X partition, created new (NTFS), rebooted, installed Windows 10 to the new partition and now when I turn on my computer, I see Windows' boot menu where I can choose Win8.1 or Win10. So, it's OK now. Clover still is there somewhere, but it's not a problem. I'll have to format entire HDD when I have some time.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back