Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, I looked for an answer in previous threads but I didn't seem to find one.
I just built this system today:
I7 4770k
Gigabyte Z87X UD3H
120Gb SSD (samsung EVO #1) - Windows 7 boot
120Gb SSD (samsung EVO #2) - OSX
16Gb Ram DDR III 1600 mhz
2* 2TB Segate Barracuda's
EVGA GTX 760

What do I want to do?
I want to run OSX and Wind 7 (dual boot on separate drives) and have a shared 4TB HD storage composed out of the two Segates in Raid 0.

What did I do?
1. Installed Win7 64bit on SSD #1 + drivers
2. Changed the SATA ports from AHCI to Raid
3. Raid 0 between the two hd's
4. Tries to boot Mavericks, no cigar, apparently, It does not identify the raid mode as valid
5. Changed it back to AHCI
6. Installed OSX 100% ok

Now I'm contemplating what to do in order to continue, I know people dislike raid 0 but I need it in order to read large sample libraries in kontakt etc...

Options:
* Raid using the disk utility
* get a raid card (something which I really lack time for)

TonyMac guys and gals, Help !:crazy:

Hey guys, I looked for an answer in previous threads but I didn't seem to find one.
I just built this system today:
I7 4770k
Gigabyte Z87X UD3H
120Gb SSD (samsung EVO #1) - Windows 7 boot
120Gb SSD (samsung EVO #2) - OSX
16Gb Ram DDR III 1600 mhz
2* 2TB Segate Barracuda's
EVGA GTX 760

What do I want to do?
I want to run OSX and Wind 7 (dual boot on separate drives) and have a shared 4TB HD storage composed out of the two Segates in Raid 0.

What did I do?
1. Installed Win7 64bit on SSD #1 + drivers
2. Changed the SATA ports from AHCI to Raid
3. Raid 0 between the two hd's
4. Tries to boot Mavericks, no cigar, apparently, It does not identify the raid mode as valid
5. Changed it back to AHCI
6. Installed OSX 100% ok

Now I'm contemplating what to do in order to continue, I know people dislike raid 0 but I need it in order to read large sample libraries in kontakt etc...

Options:
* Raid using the disk utility
* get a raid card (something which I really lack time for)

TonyMac guys and gals, Help !:crazy:

You would need to have a hardware RAID0 card that has both Windows *and* OS X drivers.

Hey, thanks for your comment!
Lets put the Raid 0 aside for one sec, Is there some sort of a same format for the shared hard drives so I could read and write on them on both systems?
Currently my Windows boot is completely normal while the from the OSX I can't write to the drives.

Hey, thanks for your comment!
Lets put the Raid 0 aside for one sec, Is there some sort of a same format for the shared hard drives so I could read and write on them on both systems?
Currently my Windows boot is completely normal while the from the OSX I can't write to the drives.

Best advice there is to get Paragon for Windows or Paragon for OS X or Tuxera or other 3rd party app that allows you to read/write from OS X to NTFS or to read/write GPT+ from Windows and format the drives either GPT+ or NTFS.

The problem is that FAT32, which could be read/written by both has a drive size limit 1 byte less than 2Tb.
It might or might not work on your drives - probably not.
EXT4 could be used, but it is very unforgiving of read/write errors and is easily corrupted, especially by OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back