Contribute
Register

Will this used desktop work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a MacBook user trying to build a Hackintosh and found very attractive pre-built rigs up for sale on Gumtree. I was planing to build a low-key i3, GTX 1050 build from brand new parts based on the most recent recommended parts but I was wondering if it was more economical to buy used rigs/parts.

I stumbled upon this deal:
Intel Core i5 4690K
ASUS Z97-C Motherboard with 8GB of HyperX FURY DDR3 RAM.
Kingston SSDNOW 240GB
Gigabye Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB

My only doubt at this point is the Motherboard's compatibility with Sierra. I've never done this before (but willing to learn!) but my impression is that Mobo compatibility is super important to the build. I couldn't find any successful guides for the Z97-'C' mobos but I've found some old guide that work with other iterations of the Z97 series of motherboards.

Question:
1) Is it ever safe to assume that if the Hack is compatible with other series in the Z97 family of mobos then it should be compatible with the "C" version as well?
2)Are older parts more risky to hack with than with newer parts?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Question:
1) Is it ever safe to assume that if the Hack is compatible with other series in the Z97 family of mobos then it should be compatible with the "C" version as well?
2)Are older parts more risky to hack with than with newer parts?

1. My guess is that it should work fine.
2. I don't think it's any more "risky" than new components.

I'm a MacBook user trying to build a Hackintosh and found very attractive pre-built rigs up for sale on Gumtree. I was planing to build a low-key i3, GTX 1050 build from brand new parts based on the most recent recommended parts but I was wondering if it was more economical to buy used rigs/parts.

I stumbled upon this deal:
Intel Core i5 4690K
ASUS Z97-C Motherboard with 8GB of HyperX FURY DDR3 RAM.
Kingston SSDNOW 240GB
Gigabye Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB

My only doubt at this point is the Motherboard's compatibility with Sierra. I've never done this before (but willing to learn!) but my impression is that Mobo compatibility is super important to the build. I couldn't find any successful guides for the Z97-'C' mobos but I've found some old guide that work with other iterations of the Z97 series of motherboards.

Question:
2) Are older parts more risky to hack with than with newer parts?

(1) Yes, I think so.
(2) No, not necessarily. My other systems are based on hardware even older than yours (Sandy Bridge), and it is not difficult at all to install MacOS. In addition, I can run more and older versions of MacOS if necessary. My Sandy Bridge builds run everything from Mountain Lion to Sierra (my current Sierra installation was installed on a Sandy Bridge system and then cloned to my current Kaby Lake system).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back