Contribute
Register

Will this build work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!
I'm planning on trying to build my first hackintosh.

The parts I want to use are:
-Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 mATX Motherboard
-Intel Core i5 4430 CPU
-8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 RAM

So, first question: Are those parts compatible?
Second question: May you recommend a GPU which fits into this configuration?
Third: I plan to buy a OS X 10.6 DVD and upgrade from there to macOS Sierra. Is this possible?

Greetings!

EDIT: I found a pretty cheap GPU on ebay, it's a 4GB MSI GeForce GT 730. Will this work?

Hi there!
I'm planning on trying to build my first hackintosh.

The parts I want to use are:
-Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 mATX Motherboard
-Intel Core i5 4430 CPU
-8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 RAM

So, first question: Are those parts compatible?
Second question: May you recommend a GPU which fits into this configuration?
Third: I plan to buy a OS X 10.6 DVD and upgrade from there to macOS Sierra. Is this possible?

Greetings!

EDIT: I found a pretty cheap GPU on ebay, it's a 4GB MSI GeForce GT 730. Will this work?

The hardware should be fine. Unfortunately, your plan to upgrade from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) directly to Sierra won't fly - Apple decided the you have to be at OS X Lion (10.7) or higher to upgrade to Sierra. The problem is, if you haven't previously downloaded a later version of OS X (Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, or El Capitan), the upgrade won't be available for you to download from the App Store. The easiest solution is to find a friend, family member, local library, school, etc. with a Mac (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or higher) and beg to use their Mac for a couple of hours to download Sierra and run Unibeast to create your installer USB.

problem is, if you haven't previously downloaded a later version of OS X (Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, or El Capitan), the upgrade won't be available for you to download from the App Store.

Another option is to purchase Lion or Mt. Lion from the MAS and then upgrade to either of those from Snow Leopard.
Here's the links to purchase those.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

Apple sends you a code a few days after you place the order. Then download it while using your Snow leopard install.

Thank you guys so much! So, I should be able to install OS X 10.6 via DVD, buy the 10.7 update in the Mac Store and then update it to 10.12 w/o additional cost? Unfortunately I don't have any mac users around me :/

Edit: I just found a Toshiba USB stick on Amazon with a Repair & Upgrade Image of OS X 10.11. Would I be able to rip its img and then use something like UniBeast(is there even something like that for Windows or Linux?) to install it on my hackintosh?

Edit 2: Wouldn't it be possible to install 10.6 via iBoot, install Clover, update it to 10.6.8(which is provided in the iBoot Guide on this page), then upgrade to El Capitan(official Apple site says 10.6.8 is capable of free upgrade to it) and then upgrade to Sierra?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back