Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I need your help.

I'm completely new to this. I want to build a hackintosh. Currently using a mac book pro at the moment but need a desktop computer now too.

This is my proposed build. Will this all fit in the case and is it compatible?

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3.5-inch SATA III (6Gbps) Desktop hard drive (7200rpm, 64MB cache)

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

Intel Core i5 4690K S1150, Haswell, 4 Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 5 GT/s DMI, 1.2GHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail

250GB Samsung 840 EVO Basic SSD SATA III 6Gb/s 7mm Slim 3-core MEX Controller Read 540MB/s Write 520MB/s 512MB 97K IOPS

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DisplayPort HDMI, ATX
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3.5-inch SATA III (6Gbps) Desktop hard drive (7200rpm, 64MB cache)

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

Intel Core i5 4690K S1150, Haswell, 4 Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 5 GT/s DMI, 1.2GHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail

250GB Samsung 840 EVO Basic SSD SATA III 6Gb/s 7mm Slim 3-core MEX Controller Read 540MB/s Write 520MB/s 512MB 97K IOPS

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DisplayPort HDMI, ATX

I plan to use the same power supply that the case came with and the dvd drive too.

Also any advice on how to cool the system down so that it all fits nice and neat.

Thank you for your time.

This plan has a potential problem. That is the CPU is one level newer then the motherboard chip set. You will need to confirm that the BIOS on the motherboard has been upgraded to support the CPU.

One solution would be to use a Z97 version instead of the Z87.

Good modding,
neil

Another potential problem, the original power supply has done weird on function. And some nonstandard voltages. More likely than not you're gonna end up blowing something up...

I need your help.

I'm completely new to this. I want to build a hackintosh. Currently using a mac book pro at the moment but need a desktop computer now too.

This is my proposed build.....

Hey jimmyneutron, and welcome to the forums!

I'm a new guy here too but plenty of experience with computers and I've been drooling over G5 mods here and about the internet for some time so I'll try and direct you in the right direction..

Firstly, compatibility. As neilhart says, the i5 processor you've chosen does mean you'll possibly have to do a BIOS update. So, you've got a couple of options there.. You can chance it and if your CPU doesn't work (the BIOS needs updating) you can either buy the cheapest CPU you can just to do the bios update, and likely sell it on after, or possibly if you took it into a computer store they would be able to do it with any spare CPU's they may have around. The other option is you can get a different motherboard. Most manufacturers will release the compatible CPUs under their support section. You can find the one for the board you've chosen here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4514

So, the good news from that page is that your CPU is at least definitely supported after the BIOS F8 update. As for the hard drives and RAM, I wouldn't foresee any compatibility issues there.

akhilv1 is also right, don't use your Mac's PSU. It's relatively easy to take apart the PSU enclosure and fit int he components of another, see the Rotten Apple mod:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/152674-rotten-apple-g5-case-mod.html

and stiligFox does the same, but differently:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/152927-stiligfoxs-powermac-g7.html

Now, fitting it... It depends on how much work you want to do. I would say the lower section of the G5 case is best suited for the smaller atx form factors if you want an easy job of fitting everything but it's all possible. Referring back to the Rotten Apple mod, he removed the plate which held the optical drive in place originally, which means he's able to fit a bigger motherboard in, or mount it higher, it's hard to tell. If I remember tomorrow I can PM you the dimensions of the inside of the case, that way you can consider the measurements as you're shopping for parts.

Hope that helps,

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back