Contribute
Register

Will the GTX 1060 will be hackintosh compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on building a hackintosh soon but have not decided on a graphics card yet. My original choice was the GTX 960, but now that the RX 480 is out I feel kind of bad buying the 960 over the 480. The problem is I don't think I'd be able to get the 480 working with a hackintosh. Today I heard rumors about the GTX 1060 which seems like the best option if it will be compatible with a hackintosh. I would think that it might be because it is NVIDIA. What do you think?

I plan on building a hackintosh soon but have not decided on a graphics card yet. My original choice was the GTX 960, but now that the RX 480 is out I feel kind of bad buying the 960 over the 480. The problem is I don't think I'd be able to get the 480 working with a hackintosh. Today I heard rumors about the GTX 1060 which seems like the best option if it will be compatible with a hackintosh. I would think that it might be because it is NVIDIA. What do you think?

You're asking if a graphics card that currently exists only in rumors will be hackintosh compatible? o_O

You're asking if a graphics card that currently exists only in rumors will be hackintosh compatible? o_O
I guess it wasn't a very good question. I am new to this and don't really know how often new web drivers come out so I was just trying to get an opinion from people more experienced than me.

I guess it wasn't a very good question. I am new to this and don't really know how often new web drivers come out so I was just trying to get an opinion from people more experienced than me.

My point was, the card hasn't even been announced yet - it's only a rumor. Is it reasonable to expect that the 1060 will eventually be a reality? Probably. Is it reasonable to expect that Nvidia will continue to support their cards on OS X with the web drivers? Most likely. But nobody here can say with any certainty whatsoever what product releases and business decisions Nvidia will make (unless there's someone here who works for Nvidia and happens to have insider knowledge).

If you need a GPU now, I'd go for a (probably used) Maxwell GPU. Prices of GTX 970 and 980 have dropped quite notably in the last weeks.

I guess we'll get proper support of Pascal sooner or later, and also Polaris might become a good option, but both of this won't happen in El Capitan.

FWIW! I've got a EVGA GTX 1060 on order for my new hackintosh build based on Stork's Maximus III Hero in the Golden Builds forum. I wanted to be right on the bleeding edge with as much future-proofing as possible with this new rig. I have confidence that Nvidia will be releasing OSX drivers when MacOS is released. Until then I will just run with onboard graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back