1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently upgraded to Mojave.
I recently changed to AMD.
Radeon RX Vega 64.
To my surprise new model is confirmed.

AMD worked with Mojave out of the box.
Is AMD dependant on version number?(ex 10.14 does not work, 10.15 works)

Or is it part of the kernel a universal compatibility for this architecture (in NVDA it was called Keplar or Maxwell)

For now the only thing I can do is return AMD RX Radeon Vega 64, use GTX 780 Ti Classified and see what happens.

I recently upgraded to Mojave.
I recently changed to AMD.
Radeon RX Vega 64.
To my surprise new model is confirmed.

AMD worked with Mojave out of the box.
Is AMD dependant on version number?(ex 10.14 does not work, 10.15 works)

Or is it part of the kernel a universal compatibility for this architecture (in NVDA it was called Keplar or Maxwell)

For now the only thing I can do is return AMD RX Radeon Vega 64, use GTX 780 Ti Classified and see what happens.

Apple has several Vega device IDs in the AMD10000Controllerkext but we will have to wait and see what the device ID is. It will more than likely work and I would bet Apple has been testing these along with AMD. Mojave has new code for the Navi cards already. It is spotty with just a AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext but it’s a start which means Apple is more than likely to introduce some Navi models as well.
We need to watch out for leaked benchmarks and Device IDs but I’m 99% certain these Vega 7 cards will work.

Apple has several Vega device IDs in the AMD10000Controllerkext but we will have to wait and see what the device ID is. It will more than likely work and I would bet Apple has been testing these along with AMD. Mojave has new code for the Navi cards already. It is spotty with just a AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext but it’s a start which means Apple is more than likely to introduce some Navi models as well.
We need to watch out for leaked benchmarks and Device IDs but I’m 99% certain these Vega 7 cards will work.

What is Navi?

What is Navi?

Navi is what we expected from AMD. It’s there new 7nm architecture. It was kinda of a surprise to see a 7nm Vega, but we have seen rumors of Vega 20. Vega 56-64 is 14nm and Vega 10.

Navi is their next generation of graphics. See this #1

It is not Vega, it is Radeon VII.
I recently changed to a Vega 64 (10 days...) from a 1080Ti... bad timing... hopefully the new one doesn't worth it...

Last edited:
I recently changed to a Vega 64 (10 days...) from a 1080Ti... bad timing... hopefully the new one doesn't worth it...
lol I’m in the exact same spot.
Refunding my AMD card at the end of this month.

The common naming form the articles is Vega 7. Navi which is also 7nm is said to be the next gen architecture. So they are saying that it’s Vega architecture shrunk down to 7nm. They did this with their CPUs and also with the RX 590 it went from 14nm to 12nm but it is still Polaris. We will find out when they come out and we can test them unless Apple announces something before that.

Fury, Polaris (et Radeon) etc. all use old CGN architecture (ie like NVIDIA has Kepler). Navi is going to be completely new one architecture. With Radeon VII they got to 1080 performance, in 4K to much better performance due to amount and speed of VRAM. Navi is going to be huge step forward. Amd is rolling. Now I would like to see an AMD CPU Mac.

I bought a AMD RX Radeon 580 yesterday.
I am refunding my AMD RX Radeon Vega 64.
I am selling my ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
I am also selling my GTX 780 Ti Classified.
I am waiting for Vega VII but am in not rush, maybe I'll get it in March/April.

I feel like my relationship with NVDA is effectively finito.

Too much uncertainty leads to a very unstable computer.

Fury, Polaris (et Radeon) etc. all use old CGN architecture (ie like NVIDIA has Kepler). Navi is going to be completely new one architecture. With Radeon VII they got to 1080 performance, in 4K to much better performance due to amount and speed of VRAM. Navi is going to be huge step forward. Amd is rolling. Now I would like to see an AMD CPU Mac.

With Radeon VII they have 2080 performance... which is in the 1080ti performance area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back