CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
ok.. so after HOURS of testing - I have an asus P6x58D Premium. i7 930 2.8 / down to 2 gigs of ram and a Patriot Torqx m28 (I have tried a 500 gb sata drive, a 1 gb sata drive, and a 2 gb sata drive - some blank, some not, some initialized and formated mac, some not... I have tried both manufacturers of graphics cards, I have tried 3 different cd / dvd drives...)

IF I can reproduce the issue, and get lucky enough to get to the SL installer, It gets hung up at "Unmounting disk" in disk utility.

The sata type is set to AHCI. I have followed the insanely mac way, the tonymac way...

I now have a 64gb ssd in the PC. It was completely cleaned and wiped. I used disk utility in 10.6.4 to do it.

This is the ONLY way that I can repeadetly get to the install screen of the 10.6.3 disk.

Then, it does not matter if i try to go ahead and install, or if I go to disk utilities at that point and select Partition. It just sits there. Right now I chose partition in the disk utility, and it is just sitting there. There is no activity on the DVD / CD drive, there is no activity coming from the SSD (That i can tell) and the "unmounting disk" candy cane looking progress bar just keeps going. It is not frozen, it just keeps trying to unmount the disk, but it never succeeds. My guess is that is what is happening during the install as well.

I get the same result, even if I am using the 2tb, 6gb second seagate drive. I can NOT get past this point. AND - I have the machine down to two gigs of ram, I have taken out the ati 48XX card, and put in a gefore 8600 or something like that, it is a small geforce card, older I think, and NO other things are attached to the system at all.

I have two exact mobos and proc set ups. I bought them to do this hackintosh. The second machine just goes to a black screen and fires the fans up. It has an ATI 5870 in it.

Any ideas? On either system???

Thanks.

Ok... so now the second one does everything exactly as the first one. Does anyone really have SL running on one of these mobos??? The Asus P6X58D-Premium boards? I7 / 2.8 / 930? Seriously...

I am using the Nvidia 8400GT graphics card. It is about a year old and I assume is an easier card to deal with with these installs than the ATI, correct? I have tried breaking both systems down to the bare bare minimums. What am I doing wrong??

I have reburnt and reburnt the iboot dvd from here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

I have tried: the Nvidea with the nvidia card. I have tried the ATI with the 4870. I have tried supported with both. I have reburnt and retried them all with them all again as well. What is the magic to getting this to work? I am going to throw them out a window.

franklyhollywood said:
Ok... so now the second one does everything exactly as the first one. Does anyone really have SL running on one of these mobos??? The Asus P6X58D-Premium boards? I7 / 2.8 / 930? Seriously...

I am using the Nvidia 8400GT graphics card. It is about a year old and I assume is an easier card to deal with with these installs than the ATI, correct? I have tried breaking both systems down to the bare bare minimums. What am I doing wrong??

I have reburnt and reburnt the iboot dvd from here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

I have tried: the Nvidea with the nvidia card. I have tried the ATI with the 4870. I have tried supported with both. I have reburnt and retried them all with them all again as well. What is the magic to getting this to work? I am going to throw them out a window.
Did you burn iBoot to a CD?

For some reason it doesn't work when burned to a DVD or some CD-RW discs.

so that could cause the hard drive to not unmount, and format properly, and I can get that far into the sl install? No.. I burnt it to a cd-rw... I will be glad to retry it though. Especially if you think that I could get that far into the install process, and it is possible that the iboot burn was bad....

Here are some questions for you guys: In mac, can I just switch out the graphics cards, once i get it up and running on the nvida card? IF, IF, i get it running, will I be able to just replace the one card for the other?

Can I update to 10.6.4? If I have to instal in 32 bit mode, will i be able to just turn 64 bit mode on in SL? and lastly: If i end up getting it to work, on say the SSD, how will I be able to then do a fresh install on say the 2tb drive? Will I have to try to go through the whole same process again?

so I hated to do it but I had to use the process on insanelymac.com to have to build out the hackintosh, so I had to use a different distro.

But I have questions as I had to do some things that I did not want to do, so here are my questions / issues:

1) I had to use a nvidia 8400 graphics card. It is an older card, and I really want to use my ATI 5870 X 2 cards. I saw that Tony here has a new release with the 58XX cards included. is there a way for me to use my cards without having to rebuild my system? Is there a way for me to upgrade the video card?

2) I had to put in a modifier for booting in 32 bit mode: arch=i386 or something like that. I really want to be in 64 bit mode. Is there a way for me to just switch to 64 bit like I can on my macbook pro?

3) How do I add

franklyhollywood said:
so I hated to do it but I had to use the process on insanelymac.com to have to build out the hackintosh, so I had to use a different distro.

But I have questions as I had to do some things that I did not want to do, so here are my questions / issues:

1) I had to use a nvidia 8400 graphics card. It is an older card, and I really want to use my ATI 5870 X 2 cards. I saw that Tony here has a new release with the 58XX cards included. is there a way for me to use my cards without having to rebuild my system? Is there a way for me to upgrade the video card?

2) I had to put in a modifier for booting in 32 bit mode: arch=i386 or something like that. I really want to be in 64 bit mode. Is there a way for me to just switch to 64 bit like I can on my macbook pro?

3) How do I add
We do not support distributions on this forum. We only support installations using a purchased retail version of Snow Leopard per http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php#f0r3.

Sorry... I must have used the wrong term.... I do have a retail, purchased copy of the software. I am meeting all the requirements of the board. Sorry I said the wrong thing.

hi! have you found any solution? I have the same issues. "Unmount" not working. I can create a new partition on an empty drive, but can not change it or erase it. The system behaves exactly as you described. Even if I create a new partition, installation starts, apparently, but no progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back