Contribute
Register

Will my PC be able to dual boot Win10 and Sierra on separate drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPE

Motherboard
MSI Z170-A Pro
CPU
i7-6700k @ 4.40 ghz
Graphics
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My specs:

i7-6700k @ 4.20 ghz
MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170-A Pro)
Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB)
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition
EVGA 500w B1 power supply
Samsung 250GB SSD for Win10
WD Blue 1TB for Win10 file strorage

I just ordered a 2TB Samsung SSD that I want to use for Mac OS Sierra independently, keeping Sierra and all my Mac files on the one SSD, and keep win10 and all my other games/files on the other ssd and hdd.

from researching around here, I am pretty confident that what I have is compatible, especially since the newly released nvidia drivers. I am currently waiting for the SSD to get shipped to my house, so ive got my thumb drive ready to boot sierra once it gets here :] i just wanted to make this post to see if anyone was aware of any dual booting issues, as I will be consistently switching between the 2 operating systems, as i use windows mainly for gaming and do a lot of work on mac os sierra.

Everything looks perfect!

Everything looks perfect!
thanks! although i am stuck right now with an issue. I set up the mobo with correct settings, following multiple guides. when i boot from the usb i get the clover start up screen, but when i choose to install from the usb i get stuck at a black screen. im not injecting any nvidia drivers, im using the boot args: dart=0 nvda_drv=0 and i just tried it with the safe mode argument -x and im still getting a black screen. any ideas as to what going on? all of this info is new to me so im not sure where the issue could be.

Boot using nv_disable (if using the GTX 1080 as this disables all nvidia GPU drivers). If you are still have issues then post for assistance, not on this thread which is 'Desktop Compatibility', use the desktop support section:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/sierra-desktop-support.186/

that was a typo on my part, i was using nv_disable=1. but thank you for pointing me in the right direction, just made a post over on the sierra support section.

Make sure you set your Bios as Follows, I had a similar issue and this fixed it for me:

1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Load Optimized Defaults
3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
6. Set OS Type to Other OS
7. If your system has IO SerialPort, disable it
8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
9. If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
10. Save and exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back