Contribute
Register

Will my hardware support a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scuba said:
the i5-2400 uses Intel HD 2000, which is also unsupported in OSX. You will still need another graphics card, I believe.

Ah ya that's right. I didn't even pay attention to which i5 it was.

I believe that GFX card would work. One small issue might be with your monitor you are going to have to switch cables between the 2 if you want to run one graphics card for one OS and another for the other or have one connect through dvi and other through HDMI if your monitor has support for that.

hmmm sounds confusing, I dont want to go to all that trouble and find i've completely messed up my PC xD

im very tempted to just get a cheap 200-300 setup xD

I've been kicking around in my head a build with an i5-2400 and an EVGA GT 240 that I have access to, but that won't happen for awhile yet. The processor will become available when I upgrade another system with a new processor and the card has been sitting in a box since when I was dreaming up my first Hack.

You can get those cards cheap.

If you are dual-booting with Win 7, do the two OS's on separate hard drives so even while you are playing around with your hackintosh you'll still have your working Win 7 side... then you might be less reluctant to try the HD 2000 solution. Just a thought...

well my friend has a ATI Radeon HD 4890 is that supported on mac osx?
also I need to be sure that my ASUS P8 P67-M Pro will work, I notice on the database there is support for the ASUS P8 P67 Pro (without the -m) Im not sure how much different the versions are or if there is any difference xD

peterallenn said:
also I need to be sure that my ASUS P8 P67-M Pro will work, I notice on the database there is support for the ASUS P8 P67 Pro (without the -m) Im not sure how much different the versions are or if there is any difference xD

The 4870 works OOB but not sure about the 4890...might take some work. For a dsdt, go here and follow the instructions:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35559

You might be able to find someone who has already created a dsdt. Just cruise the user builds section.

peterallenn said:
Honestly, it depends what you're looking to do. I play all my games on Windows, so the 6950 obviously works fine for that. I don't get graphics acceleration in Lion, but I also don't get any kernel panics or errors. Since I use OSX for casual browsing and computing, the fact that it displays in 2560x1440 without issues is all I really need.

If you already have a 6950, you can make it "work", but not as the mid-high graphics card that it is. If you're going to buy a card, go with the GTX 560ti 1.25gb. It's supported now, and is the best equivalent to the 6950 2gb if that's the price range/performance you're looking for.

Also, dual booting is incredibly easy, but for a noob it's typically better to have 2 different hard drives so you don't mess anything up. In fact, the best way is to keep the windows one unplugged while you install OSX, and then you can plug it back in afterwards and it will be detected by the bootloader. It's a lot easier than it sounds, tbh.

Thanks for the reply!

I have got the 4890 now and what suprised me is it actually plays BF3 at low-medium graphics with little trouble. It was setup for overclocking tho and does have 1GB memory on it.

I am going to give this hack a go tomorrow, I have the patch for my motherboard, the DSDT and I also know the kexts to use for the gpu so all I need now is the snow leopard dvd, iboot and multibeast! :D

I'm guessing you have a hackintosh?

Hi, everyone.

I have a ATI 6970, and probably will not work in a OSX, right?

I want to use Final Cut (video edition), by now, the onboard graphics card should be enough?

My mainboard is a GAZ68MA-D2H-B3. CPU i7-2600.

Thank you for the help, sorry for any english mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back