Graphics
nVidia Geforce 9400 Gt 1Gb VRAM
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, all. I've been wanting to buy a 4k monitor for a while now. I'll most likely go for the Monoprice 28 inch CrystalPro. The thing is, my computer is 6 years old... it still goes like a champ, but I fear it's not going to be enough to, say, play 4k YouTube videos, for example. These are my specs:

.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 Ghz (can be overclocked to 3 Ghz no problem)
.Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C Mobo
.nVidia Geforce 9400 Gt 1Gb VRAM

I'll upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 750 or a 750 ti preferably, that way I get Display Port to get 60 Hz at 4k and a big bump in performance.
I'm not planning to run games at 4k or anything like that, I just want the bigger screen real state and yummy pixel density. For games, I'll have my PS4 connected to this monitor. I also plan to have a 1680 x 1050 monitor next to the Monoprice one, in portrait.

What do you guys think? Do I have enough power to use the computer conformably at 4k and play the ocasional 4k YT video?

Looking forward to your input, thank you!

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12156&seq=1&format=2

Hello,

I have several Intel-Core-2 Dual and Quad computers. They run OS-X yosemite fine. However I don't think these make good 4K machines.

I don't think the 775 Motherboards have PCIe 3.0. slots which is requirred for the NEW 4K Graphics cards.

To run games in 4K you need a high end computer with an Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card.

You are looking at at least a $1000 computer.

Lenovo TS140 Xeon with Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card.

Also a good choice for a 4k Display is actually a TV.

Check out the LG 4K TV

Hi, thanks for your input. I thought PCI e 2.0 wasn't a bottleneck for today's video cards yet, at least in the mid range. As I said tough, I'm not planing to play games on my hackintosh, I have my PS4 for that.

I had a Core 2 Duo before and YouTube videos in 1080p 60 fps were unwatchable, they lagged all over the place, now with the Q6600 they run just fine. That's why I'm concerned about 4k video playback, even if I have the graphics horsepower.

I just tried to watch a video in 4k in YouTube (without a 4k monitor) and it kinda worked, skipping some frames here and there until the HTML5 player crashed, again and again. Maybe a 1440p monitor is a better choice for this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back