Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
i am starting with an assumption that Mac OS X files are more compatible with Windows 10 and Ubuntu ... i will be running Harrison Mixbus and WaveForm (not sure if that if the correct name) Tracktion and modifying the Linux Kernel and not using the latest release of Ubuntu because i think Tracktion requires an earlier version.

i do not have my computer built or parts purchased.

i was wondering if i could format the OS X drive in ExFat so i could work on project files in all three OSs? i would like to edit in FCPX, assuming it only works in Mac OS X and do music production in the other OSs, hopefully or eventually in Mixbus in Linux (Ubuntu so i can use Tracktion or AV Linux).

my questions iare will Mac OS X run well in a ExFat formatted volume? is there another way to work on files in Mac OS X and not the latest (but not a legacy) Ubuntu? l might need to work in Windows 10, but i am trying to avoid that because of the cost of VST plugins.

my questions iare will Mac OS X run well in a ExFat formatted volume?
Not at all and eX-FAT is a disaster looking for somewhere to happen.
IMO If you value your data do not use it.
YMMV

Not at all and eX-FAT is a disaster looking for somewhere to happen.
IMO If you value your data do not use it.
YMMV
thanks P1LGRIM
so for music production, i'd export "each track as audio" from OS X High Sierra or Windows 10 into the OS i needed to work in? does anyone know? cause i'll have MIDI files

thanks P1LGRIM
so for music production, i'd export "each track as audio" from OS X High Sierra or Windows 10 into the OS i needed to work in? does anyone know? cause i'll have MIDI files
You could use a NAS box to store your files.

You could use a NAS box to store your files.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System#Platforms
quote:
NFS is often used with Unix operating systems (such as Solaris, AIX, HP-UX), Apple's macOS, and Unix-like operating systems (such as Linux and FreeBSD). It is also available to operating systems such as Acorn RISC OS,[13] the classic Mac OS, OpenVMS,[3] MS-DOS,[14] Microsoft Windows,[15] Novell NetWare,[16] and IBM AS/400.[17] Alternative remote file access protocols include the Server Message Block (SMB, also termed CIFS), Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), NetWare Core Protocol (NCP), and OS/400 File Server file system (QFileSvr.400).

SMB and NetWare Core Protocol (NCP) occur more often than NFS on systems running Microsoft Windows; AFP occurs more often than NFS in Apple Macintosh systems; and QFileSvr.400 occurs more often in AS/400 systems. Haiku recently[when?] added NFSv4 support as part of a Google Summer of Code project.
~ end quote

i have not heard of these OSs before. i have read a little about RAID, so i know there is a way to use it for speed instead of redundancy, but for the moment, i am on a tight budget, i was already thinking of setting up 3 drives, one OS (possibly 3 drives now, one for each OS) one library drive for sounds like virtual or software instruments and effects, one project drive, one redundant storage drive. add them up and you get 3! lol!

since i was already thinking of that, how about the Mac OS X volume formatted what ever the normal format for Mac OS X is and the project drive formatted as ExFat?

if not, how about AIX, macOS, Solaris, Inspur K-UX, HP-UX, or eulerOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_AIX
quote:
AIX (Advanced Interactive eXecutive, pronounced /ˌeɪaɪˈɛks/[3]) is a series of proprietary Unix operating systems developed and sold by IBM for several of its computer platforms. Originally released for the IBM 6150 RISC workstation, AIX now supports or has supported a wide variety of hardware platforms, including the IBM RS/6000 series and later POWER and PowerPC-based systems, IBM System i, System/370 mainframes, PS/2 personal computers, and the Apple Network Server.

AIX is based on UNIX System V with 4.3BSD-compatible extensions. It is one of six commercial operating systems that have versions certified to The Open Group's UNIX 03 standard (the others being macOS, Solaris, Inspur K-UX, HP-UX, and eulerOS ).[4]

The AIX family of operating systems debuted in 1986, became the standard operating system for the RS/6000 series on its launch in 1990, and is still actively developed by IBM. It is currently supported on IBM Power Systems alongside IBM i and Linux.

AIX was the first operating system to have a journaling file system, and IBM has continuously enhanced the software with features such as processor, disk and network virtualization, dynamic hardware resource allocation (including fractional processor units), and reliability engineeringported from its mainframe designs.[5]
~(end quote)

can Windows 10, Mac OS X HS and Linux Ubuntu 16.04 see and use files created by each other in any of these OSs (IBM AIX, macOS, Solaris, Inspur K-UX, HP-UX, and eulerOS)? Mac OS X or Windows 7 is not class compliant, because i just tried reading files created in Mac OS X on my external HD with my Windows 7 laptop.

my questions iare will Mac OS X run well in a ExFat formatted volume?

No.

is there another way to work on files in Mac OS X and not the latest (but not a legacy) Ubuntu?

I think there are drivers in Linux that allow it to read/write HFS+.

Paragon software has drivers that allow macOS to read/write to EXT3/4. However, in the past, I've read of users having problems with their drivers. I do not have any personal experience with them.

l might need to work in Windows 10, but i am trying to avoid that because of the cost of VST plugins.

macOS can read but cannot write to NTFS partitions.

It's possible to read/write HFS+ in Windows with additional drivers installed. I know that older versions of the Bootcamp utilities included one such driver but I don't know if it's still included or supported. MacDrive is a commercial HFS+ driver for Windows.

Generally speaking, ExFAT is probably the most convenient since all three operating systems can read/write to it. However, it cannot be used to install the operating systems on. Just have a separate drive formatted in ExFAT to store data.

As P1LGRIM stated, a reliable NAS is a great solution. Not only can it allow for cross platform access, it can offer a host of other features such as redundancy.

i was wondering if i could format the OS X drive in ExFat so i could work on project files in all three OSs? i would like to edit in FCPX, assuming it only works in Mac OS X and do music production in the other OSs, hopefully or eventually in Mixbus in Linux (Ubuntu so i can use Tracktion or AV Linux).
Use a native file system for whichever OS you are working with. Transfer files via network or temporary file system e.g. flash drive. Linux can write to HFS+ with journalling disabled. Checksum transferred data. Linux is quite good in this situation. macOS and Windows equally bad.

Last edited:
i was reading in gearslutz about some people wanting to migrate from various DAWs such as Logic and ProTools to Harrison Mixbus (which works in Windows, Mac OS X and Linux). the statement that caught my eye was that Mixbus was almost sophisticated enough to be used as a DAW but that at the moment it was used like a plugin effect, Logic and ProTools projects were run through it so as to improve the sound. Universal Audio (UA) sells some essential costly effects plugins that, as far as i know, only run on their costly proprietary hardware and i think there are some well regarded VSTs that only run in Windows.

it has taken me years to become comfortable in Logic 9 and Logic X and generally residing in the low end of the economy, i figured i'd start migrating to Mixbus and learn my way around and hopefully plugins would be developed so i could use only Mixbus only in Linux.

Mixbus has a limited selection of effects plugins but can use plugins developed for Linux. Waveform sells another class compliant DAW called Tracktion which was acquired from Mackie that has Linux or class compliant effects that work in Mixbus.

there was a worry stated in gearslutz about Apple not being trustworthy and citing 2 things it had done that demonstrated this, one being the Mac Mini hardware being downgraded so as to render it un-upgradeable and that person was migrating to Linux but still needed Windows because of some VSTs and UA plugins and he is using ProTools and a Windows version of Logic.

apple may have confirmed this again in the last few days with the undisclosed slowing of iPhones through updates other than the latest iPhone hardware

As i stated, i am migrating to Linux and i believe plugins will be developed as i learn Mixbus (and maybe Tracktion). i will need Mac OS X Logic because i know my way around and have a reliable late 2013 iMac 27 i5 3.2GHz with 3 TB storage and some 2 TB portable 5400 rpm external HDs for projects. i know 7200 rpm are recommended

maybe i could build a class compliant computer as Linux only at first and add Mac OS X and Windows as needed

just now, i wonder if projects created in Mixbus / Traction can be saved as or worked in a class compliant way; created in Linux and then opened in Mac OS X and Windows and if that would be a simpler or more elegant conversion, or is what has been stated in this thread more elegant? i guess i can go to their forums and ask, but i didn’t think of it until just now typing, so i’ll ask here and you are more likely to know how class compliant DAWs work vs what has already been stated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back