Contribute
Register

Will Apple Ever Update the Mac Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
askSchwa said:
Apple is slowly phasing out all Macs except for the iMac and MacBook Air. Not to mention, there are some "rumors" that Apple will ditch x86 for ARM in a couple years as well. I'm sorry people, but that's how it is going to be.

Maybe, but I don't see Apple giving up Minis or iMacs - high revenue with already researched parts. They would first want everyone to switch to mobile computing, a thing
that could be further pressed with the clouded lion. I would expect a pci-less "pro" computer and the laptops ditched in my dark predictions.

andrec said:
askSchwa said:
Apple is slowly phasing out all Macs except for the iMac and MacBook Air. Not to mention, there are some "rumors" that Apple will ditch x86 for ARM in a couple years as well. I'm sorry people, but that's how it is going to be.

Maybe, but I don't see Apple giving up Minis or iMacs - high revenue with already researched parts. They would first want everyone to switch to mobile computing, a thing
that could be further pressed with the clouded lion. I would expect a pci-less "pro" computer and the laptops ditched in my dark predictions.

I definitely don't see the iMac going away any time soon and Mini's are a great media center PC so it's hard to see that go.

There is not really a reason to have a PCI-less "pro" as you called it. The people in the market for a high end computer usually are the same people who want the ability to customize it and add to it. If they keep the line going at all surely it will have this option.

And finally there is a long way to go in the tablet market before apple is ready to phase out laptops. Flash, USB, Hard Drive space, just to name a few

pwalth21 said:
There is not really a reason to have a PCI-less "pro" as you called it. The people in the market for a high end computer usually are the same people who want the ability to customize it and add to it. If they keep the line going at all surely it will have this option.

And finally there is a long way to go in the tablet market before apple is ready to phase out laptops. Flash, USB, Hard Drive space, just to name a few

The thunderbolt being a PCIe extension port would isolate the pros (that are few and picky, for Apple - mainly the big media industry) - those who need extension should buy an expansion chassis. Apple no longer targets professionals even if they were the main marketing force for the last 20 years.

There's a line of cheap Apple laptops - the MacBooks - that was silently scrapped to make place for the Air (an useless machine for the usual professional). At the current iPad craze, I bet many of those that want to buy an Air think a lot about an iPad.

andrec said:
pwalth21 said:

The thunderbolt being a PCIe extension port would isolate the pros (that are few and picky, for Apple - mainly the big media industry) - those who need extension should buy an expansion chassis. Apple no longer targets professionals even if they were the main marketing force for the last 20 years.

There's a line of cheap Apple laptops - the MacBooks - that was silently scrapped to make place for the Air (an useless machine for the usual professional). At the current iPad craze, I bet many of those that want to buy an Air think a lot about an iPad.

i'd be looking at getting a thunderbolt pcie card when it arrives and is compatible with osx

and id agree that a unexpandable mac pro would be a waste of time especially as they cost more than i payed for my car

the old white macbook was a great entry level product but i dont think you could call it cheap

had a ipad for a while but i found youll play with it for 3/4 hour think its great and then youll look for your macbook coz your experience is limited
got macbook air 13" sold ipad
personally i dont think the ipad is worth getting. for the ultra portable id get air macbook 11" or possible consider an android tablet

i think the apple products to buy is macbook air 11 and 13",mac mini,macbook pro 13"and the imac 27" (theres no notebook like a macbook)

after that android phone/ tablet are good and of course hackint0sh

so it has been updated. slightly.

there are new processor options and a server, but no contemporary features added.
the last WWDC releases were for the portables, that got ivy bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back