Contribute
Register

Will Apple attempt to block Mac OS 10.7 hackintosh?

How Long after release will 10.7 be fully hackintoshed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I've a hunch that Apple will introduce measures to curb hackintoshing of 10.7....

I don't think we'll see a stable/complete 10.7 hackintosh at least until 2012

Your thoughts?

Re: Poll: Apple to attempt to block Mac OS 10.7 hackintosh?

I'd have to disagree. Knowing many people in the modding and hacking "industry" I really think that as soon as 10.7 is released, hackers will get started right away to making a hackitosh.
My only questioning is if they will share how they did it or keep it only to a private group.

Zack said:
I'd have to disagree. Knowing many people in the modding and hacking "industry" I really think that as soon as 10.7 is released, hackers will get started right away to making a hackitosh.
Oh...I've no doubt that they will start right away...the poll question is really on when 10.7 will be available to commoners.

I have to agree with Tony here. The only Kext my system needs is FakeSMC.
If Apple does too much to cripple non-Apple hardware, they'll run into problems fairly soon.

I purposely built this box as close to an iMac 11,1 as I possibly could.
I'll be trying 10.7 on its release day. It may fail, but I have a feeling it will boot, or it will be trivial at best to make it boot :D

Lightspeed said:
I have to agree with Tony here. The only Kext my system needs is FakeSMC.

So is that what Apple will target?

Not necessarily. If they really want to stop Hackintoshes, the Mac App Store next week might be a peak into their hand for Lion.

There's one thing Apple hasn't done with OS X yet to the extent they have with iOS and if they care at all, I expect to see OS X tightened up in that area.

Think Chrome OS and their protected boot if you want one idea of where they *could* go. We don't know that they will.

It's how I'd do it. Only code with Apple validated signatures gets to run at boot time, unless you jailbreak OS X.

If you couldn't inject FakeSMC or other Kexts then you're down to looking for exploitable vulnerabilities to bypass OS X security ala iOS jailbreaks

Some good points there I thought

Looks good then, Appstore just works on my Hack that is :) We'll see what they do with Lion when it comes out. Have to agree on one aspect though: it really is not in Apple's best interest to limit themself too much on the hardware side.

I can't see them doing too much, really. Keep in mind that by release day various developer versions will have been out in the community for quite a while, so many of the kinks will be already been worked out.

Personally, I think that Apple is content with the hack community as it is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back