Contribute
Register

Will an i3-4150 using integrated graphics work in macOS Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z68-G43
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
MSI 970 4G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I posted before about whether a Pentium G3250 with integrated graphics could be used and, as I thought, Pentiums aren't supported. I was then considering buying an RX570/580 to solve the whole graphics issue however I can't really justify the price when I'm only using it for basic tasks and wouldn't make full use of a graphics card. Looking at other Haswell CPU's that are a lot cheaper than a graphics card, I can get an i3-4150 for cheap and was wondering, is this CPU compatible in macOS Catalina and is it possible to get the Intel HD 4400 graphics working properly? I found a guide (this one) on the forum but it is from a few years ago so didn't know whether it is still a relevant fix.

It makes more sense to get an i3 with HD4600. There are about 6 to 7 of them you can find used on ebay for not much money. Any of the i3s that start with 43x0 will have HD4600. Any that start with 41x0 will only have HD4400.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Here's a 4330 for around 24 dollars. Very affordable way get HD4600. Fully supported in Catalina. Use SMBIOS iMac 14,3. In Big Sur you'd need to use SMBIOS iMac 15,1 for working graphics. The 2013 iMacs lost support in Big Sur.

Last edited:
That's great, thanks for that, definitely will look at getting one of those instead then. Will the CPU and integrated graphics just work 'out of the box' with no patching needed apart from changing the SMBIOS?

Will the CPU and integrated graphics just work 'out of the box' with no patching needed apart from changing the SMBIOS?
See the HD4600 section of the guide by jaymonkey. iDiot's Guide to Lilu and it's plugins.

Great, thanks so much for your help. Will have a read through that guide and grab a 4330 off eBay

Just an update in case anyone sees this post in the future and wants to get HD4600 graphics working. I got an i3 4330 off of eBay for cheap and have been using it as a secondary system for the past month or so and everything seems to be working great. The macOS install USB booted first time into the installer with no additional flags required. Wiped the SSD with Disk Utility and went through the install process. It installed fine and booted into macOS however graphics weren't working straight away. I ran Multibeast after installing and set the following options:

Drivers -> Audio -> AppleALC
Drivers -> Misc -> VirtualSMC
Drivers -> Network -> Realtek -> RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.2
Drivers -> USB -> USBInjectAll
Bootloaders -> Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize -> System Definitions -> iMac -> iMac 14,2
Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen

Finally, in Clover Configurator, I mounted the EFI partition and loaded the config.plist. Under the Graphics section, I ticked the 'Inject Intel' box and set the platform ID to 0x0d220003 (Only one in the list for Haswell Desktop). After rebooting, the Intel HD Graphics 4600 were detected and automatically set the resolution to 2560x1440. The motherboard I'm using (an Asus H81M-Plus) uses a Realtek ethernet chipset but the kext Multibeast installed for it worked first time. Also, all USB 2 and 3.0 ports and audio jacks (both on the motherboard and front of the case) all work fine. I haven't come across anything that doesn't work at the moment and haven't had any stability issues. Thanks so much again for your help.

macOS.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back