Contribute
Register

Will a EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 with sli work OOB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
DSDT-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3-F13
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
Radeon Sapphire 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Getting my parts ready for my first hackintosh build and am trying to pick out a solid, cheap $$$, gaming, gpu. My número UNO choice is this one from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130752 but I don't want to do much tinkering with lines of code and ext. my simple question is, will this work out of box other then enabling graphics enabler. Also, is sli supported? Thanks

SLI is not supported. A single GTX 460 will work with the driver from nVidia's page.

Do you care to share what exactly sli is? I'm new to the hardware scene so I'm mostly going off benchmarks and ext but what exactly does sli do?

johnson8ryley said:
Do you care to share what exactly sli is? I'm new to the hardware scene so I'm mostly going off benchmarks and ext but what exactly does sli do?
:eek: :confused:
SLI...

haha was that a dumb question? I mean, isnt it a feature of some sort? Some hardware improvment over the regular 460? I guess I could've done some googling but was to lazy haha

johnson8ryley said:
haha was that a dumb question? I mean, isnt it a feature of some sort? Some hardware improvment over the regular 460? I guess I could've done some googling but was to lazy haha
How can I say... When you had asked if SLI would work OOB the most of the people think that you know what is it. But then you asked what is it... :crazy:

No actually I asked because on the benchmarks I'm looking at, sli improves the 460 a lot compared to the regular 460. But I've decided to go with the Radeon 6870. Beats the regular 460 and is a great bang for your buck.

johnson8ryley said:
No actually I asked because on the benchmarks I'm looking at, sli improves the 460 a lot compared to the regular 460. But I've decided to go with the Radeon 6870. Beats the regular 460 and is a great bang for your buck.
Good pick! :thumbup:

johnson8ryley said:

To answer your question instead of trying to make you feel stupid, SLI is when two cards are run in one computer and are connected to both the motherboard via PCI-Express slots and also to each other via a ribbon cable. By being connected, they can double the processing power available to the video cards. However, this is nor supported in OSX and your choice of a 6870 is a good one.

Oh so like crossfire? Thanks for clearing that up and thanks for the compliment of choice of gpu. I'm getting help picking out all my parts from a friend that owns a liquid cooled, over clocked computer. Needless to say, he's knows his parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back