Contribute
Register

wildwillow's Dual Boot Skylake Build : Asus Z170 Deluxe - i5-6600K - GTX970 SSC - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi wildwillow. After much problems (including buying new RAM) it turns out Ive narrowed down my issues to a 'deep sleep' problem. When the computer deep sleeps, I either reawaken it to a KP report or to the boot login screen, which then proceed to reload everything including a KP report.

I thought it may be because of the RAM and followed another thread to http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/memory-corrupted-after-longer-sleep.148289/

Changing RAM didn't work.

I followed this thread here http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...apitan-install-problems.173991/#CategorySleep
in putting it to light sleep using sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 in terminal
and it has solved my problems, but it kind of annoys me that I have a 6700k and identical motherboard and you don't seem to have a problem?

I am using the SSDT power management as its the same CPU and motherboard from http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...7-6700k-16gb-intel-hd530.183302/#post-1182673

Maybe Ive missed a setting somewhere in BIOS but I'm pretty sure I haven't. Anything that'll trigger it?

Thank you.
I've not had a problem with sleep and waking from sleep, only when using HD530, I assume thats still broken. Are you using a different System Defintion? My system is configured exactly the same as Post#1 including the BIOS selection posted there. Have you created an SSDT for your USB ports? I found without the SSDT I had sleep problems but configuring the system to work correctly it solved this problem.

Going to the original Insanelymac thread where the intelmausiethernet kext was presented, (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304235-intelmausiethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/), in "known issues", the OP states that for 100 series boards and skylake CPUs the SSDT has to be patched as described in: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...xt-for-intel-onboard-lan/page-26#entry2244297

Now, I dont know if this applies to our motherborard (I think it does) or if wildwillow already did it. Mieze (the OP in insanelymac) says there:"Skylake users which are experiencing random connection dropouts should patch their SSDT as this is due to a power management issue which causes DMA operations to fail because the maximum acceptable latency has been exceeded while the CPU was in a deep idle state. The following code has been tested with a Core i5 6600 CPU. Core i7 CPUs might need slightly modified values to work perfectly but you should give it a try. In case you still experience the problem with this patch on your i7, please let me know."

This may be a problem, because I have a 6700 CPU. Now, wildwillow, what do you think?. Should we do this?. Could you please guide us as to how we do it (in a "for dummies" guide :lol:).

EDIT: after reading the end of that thread, it seems there is a problem with skylake and large file transfers that make the ethernet connection crash. Not solved yet, they are trying to fix the driver. Any other intel driver that would work?.
There are 2 ethernet ports on this motherboard. One is Intel 1219V and the other is
Intel 1211-AT. There is a driver in MultiBeast for 1211-AT it is AppleIGB v5.2.9.4. Originally there was an older version of this driver that caused random Kernel Panics on start up but I haven't tested the latest version. It would be an option for you to try this until the driver is fixed for 1219V. I'm continually using the on board Wifi without problems which is another option for you.

Last edited:
Thanks, wildwillow. Unfortunately, the 1211 port is unusable with the AppleIGB driver: It seems to work at first but the MAC OS hangs and reboots seconds after the mass network transfer starts. I was also using the wifi, because it works well and is stable, but I prefer the ethernet cable, because is faster.

Now the good news: the last version of the intelmausiethernet kext (V.2.2.0d4) seems to work and be stable:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/?p=2278501

I've uploaded near 500GB so far and ethernet is still working. Yay!!!.

Thanks, wildwillow. Unfortunately, the 1211 port is unusable with the AppleIGB driver: It seems to work at first but the MAC OS hangs and reboots seconds after the mass network transfer starts. I was also using the wifi, because it works well and is stable, but I prefer the ethernet cable, because is faster.

Now the good news: the last version of the intelmausiethernet kext (V.2.2.0d4) seems to work and be stable:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/?p=2278501

I've uploaded near 500GB so far and ethernet is still working. Yay!!!.
Thanks fjf for posting your results using the updated driver. Glad you've eliminated the NIC problem and for informing me about the AppleIGB driver. It wasn't great a year ago either.

I just updated to the last BIOS (2202) hoping to fix the sleep issue, but it does not. My computer refuses to sleep now. Anyone tried to install Sierra?.

I just updated to the last BIOS (2202) hoping to fix the sleep issue, but it does not. My computer refuses to sleep now. Anyone tried to install Sierra?.
Hi fjf,
I've got macOS Sierra installed and sleep is working fine for me. I'm still running the 1802 BIOS and have no reason to update since everything is working great. Could you make a copy of IOReg on your system and upload it here so that I can take a look.
The app and how to is here : [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

Interesting, Im on a later BIOS than you and have had sleep problems. I might see if I can revert back to 1802. I started getting sleep problems a while ago but couldn't remember if it correlated with my BIOS update.
Hi Wolfie81,
If I remember we all updated from 1702 to 1802 pretty much around the same time, give or take a day or two, but I can't for the life of recall why. You can use the BIOS flashback port on the motherboard, take a look in the manual as it explains how to do so. If you like, you could make a copy of IOReg and post it, I could look at it for you and see if anything stands out.
make sure that you have IGPU switched off and Multi-Monitor support disabled.

Hi Wolfie81,
If I remember we all updated from 1702 to 1802 pretty much around the same time, give or take a day or two, but I can't for the life of recall why. You can use the BIOS flashback port on the motherboard, take a look in the manual as it explains how to do so. If you like, you could make a copy of IOReg and post it, I could look at it for you and see if anything stands out.
make sure that you have IGPU switched off and Multi-Monitor support disabled.

Thank you! I just reverted bak to 1702 and I still had same sleep problems. Im now starting to suspect one of my GPU's is getting faulty. I have the Rev A 780 version which is native, I do not need Nvidia web drivers. The reason I suspect its faulty is Ive tried so many things to find my sleep problem. I have a gut feeling its ram related somewhere, its not the PC ram.

I can sleep on demand. It works. I cannot auto sleep. When It tries to auto sleep theres 3 outcomes.

1. It does not sleep (monitor turns off), and on wake the screen I get a KP (often safari related as its usually open, however I am confident it is not a safari problem, it just is disguised as it. I have reinstalled Sierra many times). These KP are attached. There is considerable lag, delay, where the machine is frozen for about 20 seconds before it becomes responsive. Its like theres a RAM/SSD error. I eliminated RAM issue with using 2 other sets of RAM. Same issues. SSD testing reveals its fine.

2. The machine sleeps, and wakes normally. This is a rare event and is random.

3. The machine sleeps, and on wake, I am presented with a reboot. I eliminated this by using "sudo pmset -a standby 0 && sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0". Now it often presents with sleep issue 1.

Attached is the IO reg file and 3 crash reports, which may help you. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• com.apple.WebKit.WebContent_2016-10-01-233705_Talals-MacPro909.crash.txt
    85.4 KB · Views: 321
  • com.apple.WebKit.WebContent_2016-10-01-233807_Talals-MacPro909.txt
    97.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Mac.ioreg
    10.3 MB · Views: 121
  • WindowServer_2016-10-01-230529_Talals-MacPro909.userspace_watchdog_timeout.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back