Graphics
GeForce GT 520 512 MB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I encountered a strange issue with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install on my Dell Latitude 2100. I used iBoot legacy disk and retail OS 10.6.3 to install the system. Everything works correctly except my wifi. I tried all possible approached to fix the wifi but to no avail.

Then I installed the same system using Netbookbootloader. This time wifi is there. What I don't understand is that it is the same computer with the same hardware and same version of OS and yet my preferred method, iBoot, which gives me much stable operation, does not have wifi working. I even copied the IO80211Family.kext from Netbookbootloader installation to the iBoot installation, but still my wifi does not work.

I checked the IO80211Family.kext in both installations and found that there is one called IO80211NetBooter.kext under IO80211Family.kext in the installation of NetbookBookloader. It seems though that this could be the kext that made my wifi work in this installation, though it does not seem to make any difference in the iboot installation.

Does anyone have an idea about what might have gone wrong?

I resolved the issue by installing a modified versionof IO80211Family.kext. But the question still remain: why do you have to use a different version of this kext when you install the same system on the same computer though via different means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back