Contribute
Register

WiFi USB dongle not powering up? - AE1000 / DWA-160 - Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

After getting my Hackintosh to work (kudos to iboot + Multibeast team!!!) I seem to have a problem of very peculiar nature. My USB Wifi adapters are not powering up in OSX.

Same thing happened with vanilla 10.6.3 than with 10.6.8 and now with Lion. Everything works as it should just wireless cards are not blinking.

USB works - I'm using multiple external drives and a printer and seems to be no problem. Initially I have started with DWA-160, installed manufacturers drivers / cleared caches etc etc - the card was recognized under USB bus but that was all. Even DWA-160 wireless utility showed up in apps but running it didn't do a thing.

Than I bought Cisco/Linksys AE1000 which is knows to work due to being based on widely supported Ralink RT3572 chipset. Also latest version of manufacturer's drivers are from 07/21/2011 so I'd say they are quite up to date. :)

Again the same thing - installation went without hiccups dongle is recognized in System info under USB bus as AE1000 (all sorts of additional info it's there as well). Ralink utility installed together with drivers but it's not doing anything - turning it "on" makes no reaction at all.

I have no kernel panics, no slowdowns performance is absolutely excellent - just can't get the blimmin thing to power up. It behaves exactly like when you turn radio off in Windows through device properties.

Tried safe mode / forcing 32bit arch, adding interface through network properties, nothing wifi related is showing up (only vpn,pppoe,other). Trying to detect anything through Airport makes no results as well - but it pops up a window which says something like "you have to turn WIFI on" (!!??)

The drivers are there, dongle is seen by the system, plug/unplug does nothing as well. I think I'm at a dead end now - am I missing obvious thing like an elaborate keyboards shortcut to toggle wireless radio or something similar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :banghead:

Hi everybody
I feel concerned by this issue, coz I encounter the same problem
I plugged a USB wifi dongle but I cannot use it, I cannot catch the signal even though the dongle appears in the system properties...

Could somebody provide a quick tutorial to make it work?
a kext maybe? with multibeast maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Yep still not resolved here as well.

So far I have tried like 6 usb dongles (including DWA-160, AE1000, DWA-125) and not a single one seems to be powering up through USB.

Everything else works perfect - Graphics (two 5870 in crossfire on 2 monitors), sound, USB flash drives, I mean every tiniest bit except when putting USB Wifi Adapter, It appears in system properties but doesn't power up. Very weird.... :(

By the way, patched to 10.7.1 with no problem whatsoever - still no luck with WiFi.

Anyone of the guru's there?

Kind regards

Same problem here :( shows up, but no power whatsoever, kext edited and all, it should work but unfortunately it doesnt :(

Hi i hope you have already found a stick that works for you, if not try the D-Link DWL-G122 for 54mbit or the D-Link DWA-140 for 150/300mbit. they work really nice with the latest Ralink Wireless Utility and 10.7.2.
verification and version number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back