Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z170N Gaming 5
CPU
Skylake i7 4.0ghz
Graphics
EVGA Geforce 960
Wifi options for ITX board GA-Z170N-Gaming 5?

Hey everyone, I’ve searched the forum thoroughly and i’m trying to come up with a solution for Wifi for my ITX build below:

Intel Skylake Quad Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Cache
Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III SSD
Corsair Hydro Liquid CPU Cooler H60
COUGAR ATX CASE MINI ITX COUGAR QBX
Silverstone 450W SFX PSU + Adapter

As you can see I’m taking the PCIe slot up with the Geforce GTX 960, and i’m looking for options for Wifi. I understand the GA-Z170N doesn’t come with a half mini pci slot, but DOES come with an m.2 connector.

Is it possible to find a card for the m.2 connection underneath the board that will provide wifi?

Thanks in advance :wave:

EDIT: Double post on my side because my post didn't show up. :crazy:

I ordered the same one, except from eBay.

I also have the same motherboard too! :headbang:

You can just swap out the included Intel 8260NGW 802.11 AC/ Bluetooth 4.2 M.2 WiFi card on the top side of the motherboard (since it is an M.2 WiFi slot).

Good luck hackintosh'ing! I'm still waiting for the last of my components too so you should document your installation if you get a chance too:)

Selfishly speaking, it would certainly be super helpful for me! ;)

Ah thanks for the reply! Okay great, I didn’t realise you could swap out the one on top of the motherboard it didn’t look very clear from the pictures or the specifications on Gigabytes website.

I’ll definitely let you know how I go :mrgreen:

Hi - I've got the same Z170n mobo - and looking to problem solve this before trying a custom mac install again. I've read the Airport Express and Time Capsules will bridge easily....

Would this work.... Ethernet to Time Capsule which then connects to existing wifi network?

And has anyone had success/trouble with time machine on custom macs?

Any progress with the WiFi and bluetooth M2 card?

Got this configuration working and machine was stable for a week but now won’t boot after a reboot. So i’m dealing with a different fire now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back