Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Since upgrading to Big Sur my wifi menu-bar shows only two bars where there were three under Catalina. I also see occasional broken streams and slow-ish performance compared with before.

Machine is sitting in same location and is connected to same wifi/router, so no change there. Unfortunately, this machine is situated where ethernet connection is not feasible, so wifi is my only connectivity.

To upgrade to Big Sur, I replaced my previous 14,2 smbios/SN info in Opencore config.plist with a new 15,1 set of numbers, and updated kexts, and then did a clean install to a new partition and used Migration Assistant from the Catalina partition.

Opencore is still on 6.3. I did try to upgrade that to 6.5, and was able to boot Big Sur under OC 6.5 but had a few minor issues. In any case I had the same weaker wifi with OC 6.5. Not having enough time to resolve the other issues, I went back to my OC 6.3 EFI for now.

Possibly relevant kexts in use are AirportBRCMFixup, BrcmBluetoothInjector, and BrcmPatchRAM3. Patches, etc, in my OC config are unchanged from the earlier trouble-free Catalina install.

Googling around, I have seen a few solutions for situations where network doesn't work at all under Big Sur, but nothing like my situation, where the wifi works, but the radio just seems weaker.

Wondering if this is a known issue, perhaps with an updated system kext in Big Sur for 15,1 where maybe a patch is needed.

Not sure where to start trying to fix this.

this is on a GA-Z97M-D3H | i5 4690 | HD 4600
wifi/BT card firmware: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.111.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1675.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back