Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU
Intel i7 4770K
Graphics
Asus GTX 970
Hi there. Two separate questions here. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first Hackintosh build. A) If my Hackintosh will be next to a router and within range of a Cat5 cable, do I need wifi? B) How difficult is it to add hard drives at a later date? My build will have a 250GB SSD HD split between Windows 7 and OSX and I eventually want to install a large 1-2 TB HD... is this a plug and play procedure? Will it be recognized?

For what it's worth, my build is a 4770K + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H system. Thanks!

Hi there. Two separate questions here. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first Hackintosh build. A) If my Hackintosh will be next to a router and within range of a Cat5 cable, do I need wifi? B) How difficult is it to add hard drives at a later date? My build will have a 250GB SSD HD split between Windows 7 and OSX and I eventually want to install a large 1-2 TB HD... is this a plug and play procedure? Will it be recognized?

For what it's worth, my build is a 4770K + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H system. Thanks!
A. no
B. easy - you will probably have to partition the HDD in 1 Tb sections and format each partition MSDOS FAT with OS X disk utility if you want to share the drive between Win7 and OS X. Or you can format a partition HFS+ for OS X and a partition NTFS for Win7 and use a third party software to cross read/write if you need to.

I would still recommend a separate SSD for Win7.

Thanks for the replies... much appreciated. Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of dedicated SSDs for operating systems?

Thanks for the replies... much appreciated. Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of dedicated SSDs for operating systems?
A. you have the recovery capability on the Windows side if you allow it to install on its own drive. If you install on same drive you lose the System Reserved partition.
B. If you have a problem with either OS, troubleshooting is much easier if you can disconnect all other drives.
C. Service Pack updates for Windows have been known to fail if Windows is not first to boot.
D. There are times when having to re-install means having to reformat also, which means you have to re-install both OS's instead of just one. This wouldn't be so much of a pain if you didn't also have to re-install all of your applications.

Thanks much. Those are definitely good reasons to roll with a separate drive. Any pointers on where I can find a dual boot guide? I've read through the Unibeast / Multibeast guides on here, but I'd like to know what order I install Mavericks and Win7... I'm guessing I don't use bootcamp or anything like that. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back