Contribute
Register

Why using ssdt is not as good as clover PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 640 G1
CPU
i5-4300M
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I previously used ssdtPRGen.sh generated SSDT, with table cpuPm/cpuIst0 dropped. But the CPU frequency is always keeps at 3.4(max), at most 10% moving around.(picture attached)

Today I tried out delete SSDT.aml from clover, and using clover generated p/c. The cpu freqs seems much more adapting to the usage.

The two pictures showed the difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.49.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.49.26 PM.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 332
  • post-1355143-0-43425400-1495043242.png
    post-1355143-0-43425400-1495043242.png
    350.9 KB · Views: 300
Hi,

I previously used ssdtPRGen.sh generated SSDT, with table cpuPm/cpuIst0 dropped. But the CPU frequency is always keeps at 3.4(max), at most 10% moving around.(picture attached)

Today I tried out delete SSDT.aml from clover, and using clover generated p/c. The cpu freqs seems much more adapting to the usage.

The two pictures showed the difference.

You should not be dropping OEM CPU SSDTs in the first place...
Best result is with both OEM CPU SSDTs and generated SSDT.aml or SSDT-PluginType1.aml.
Laptop guide is applicable to desktops.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

You should not be dropping OEM CPU SSDTs in the first place...
Best result is with both OEM CPU SSDTs and generated SSDT.aml or SSDT-PluginType1.aml.
Laptop guide is applicable to desktops.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

Thank you. Your guide helps a lot! I didn't know about the SSDT-plugin before. Just wondering, on Clover/APCI/SSDT, there is also a plugin type, is it supposed to do the same?

Dropping tables CpuPm/cpu0Ist was introduced in a lot of native PM guides. They are written by different authors, so it is likely to be inconsistent.

I now use ssdt plugin without any configs in clover/APCI/ssdt part, seems good.

I also figured out that why CPU freqs varies more without OS X native PM. Without native PM, it seems clover sets IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS to 0x5, this is a laptop config to save power. With native PM(with iMac smbios), the same register is set to 0x1, which is a desktop config to maximize performance.

Just wondering, on Clover/APCI/SSDT, there is also a plugin type, is it supposed to do the same?

Conflicting. Use only SSDT.aml or SSDT-PluginType1.aml. Not both.

I also figured out that why CPU freqs varies more without OS X native PM. Without native PM, it seems clover sets IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS to 0x5, this is a laptop config to save power. With native PM(with iMac smbios), the same register is set to 0x1, which is a desktop config to maximize performance

It is probably not Clover that is doing that... More likely X86PlatformPlugin.kext.

Conflicting. Use only SSDT.aml or SSDT-PluginType1.aml. Not both.

Ahh, I didn't mean it. I know it's conflicting.

I meant in clover configurator(I know you don't like it :lol: ), there is actually a configurable entry inside Acpi-> SSDT box, where you can choose "plugin type" as 0 or 1. Is this same thing as ssdt-plugintype1?

Ahh, I didn't mean it. I know it's conflicting.

I meant in clover configurator(I know you don't like it :lol: ), there is actually a configurable entry inside Acpi-> SSDT box, where you can choose "plugin type" as 0 or 1. Is this same thing as ssdt-plugintype1?

That setting is only if you're using Clover config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PStates=true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back