Contribute
Register

Why don't manufacturers just build a ready to go laptop for hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So.... why don't they? It seems to me that if someone (Xiaomi?) just created a laptop where it a hackintosh install worked pretty much OOTB, then it would be a huge success.

Why has this not happened yet?

So.... why don't they? It seems to me that if someone (Xiaomi?) just created a laptop where it a hackintosh install worked pretty much OOTB, then it would be a huge success.

Why has this not happened yet?
I believe its against the macOS terms of use and that apple could sue companies for it

A while back there was a company that built motherboards that ran OSX right out of the box, no clover etc
they were sued by apple, I think where they went wrong was they actually built systems and sold them with MacOS installed.

A while back there was a company that built motherboards that ran OSX right out of the box, no clover etc
they were sued by apple, I think where they went wrong was they actually built systems and sold them with MacOS installed.
Lol, rip whatever company that was.

Would be great if Apple just decided to make price worthy, upgradeable computers instead. Or make there OS open source

I would think it would make a good business selling PCs running macOS tho, I would definitely get into it if Apple let you sell PCs with there software on it...

I would think it would make a good business selling PCs running macOS tho
If history is any indicator that will never happen. Jobs killed off the Mac Clones in 1997 as soon as he became CEO of Apple for the 2nd go round.
Soon after Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997, he halted negotiations of upcoming licensing deals with OS licensees that Apple executives complained were still financially unfavorable.[13] Because the clone makers' licenses were valid only for Apple's System 7 operating system, Apple's release of Mac OS 8 left the clone manufacturers without the ability to ship a current Mac OS version and effectively ended the cloning program.[14] Apple bought Power Computing's Mac clone business for US$100,000,000 (equivalent to $156,073,798 in 2018), ending the clone era.
Cook worshipped the ground Steve walked on so there's no chance he would ever allow this either. There would be 0 benefit for Apple if they did allow other companies to sell PCs with macOS installed.

Last edited:
Not quite what I meant. I mean, if hackintosh builds are done anyway, then why not use components that didn't require a whole lot to hack. ie, use components that through already existing kext files and other hacks, can be made into a hackintosh easily.

Like the MateBook Pro looks pretty close, but for example, the internet needs a dongle, or some other facet is not quite vanilla hackable. Just load a laptop with components that hack easily, and it would be a great seller IMO.

Does that make sense?

Not quite what I meant. I mean, if hackintosh builds are done anyway, then why not use components that didn't require a whole lot to hack. ie, use components that through already existing kext files and other hacks, can be made into a hackintosh easily.

Like the MateBook Pro looks pretty close, but for example, the internet needs a dongle, or some other facet is not quite vanilla hackable. Just load a laptop with components that hack easily, and it would be a great seller IMO.

Does that make sense?
Sure, but Idk if the manufacturer would be allowed to advertise it as Hackintosh compatible

They wouldn't need to, just build the thing and the community would do the rest.

if apple executives were reading this , they would be fuming , burning with rage.

Lol, too bad they can't do anything to hackintosh.

But sadly mac os is left way behind.

Only reason to use mac now is if you are into music production and that too is i doubt for long ,considering the price of macs these days.

After hackin' it for about 10 years, I finally bought a legit mac book pro but only after we had no internet for a week and I had to go remote to work. of course, the day I came back with the purchase, internet was back on.

Still, I use the laptop for DJing so it's good to have that solid as a rock. My desktop is my weapon of choice though for all things work related.

If a real contender was out there in the laptop market, I'd seriously consider selling the MBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back