Contribute
Register

Why don't folks invest in proper bootable backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370-HD3
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Coming back to the hackintosh scene after an almost four year hiatus, I am dismayed to see posts from people who have had to reinstall their system due to an OSX update, or some other set of circumstances that have rendered their system unusable. I remember years ago blindly believing my CC backup was bootable but not testing it, this pre Clover and finding out one day when I needed to boot into my backup drive it didn't work. Since bringing life back into my Ivy Bridge system I was determined to make sure I had not one but two backup drives, since this system was going to be my daily driver and I can't afford for it to be down. Googling 'hackintosh bootable backups' I came across a youtube video that easily shows you how to create a bootable backup drive which also uses CCC. I have used this method and tested my backup drives and they work great. Other that the cost for a second (or third) hard drive or SSD and the cost of CCC, I can't understand why more people don't do this, it's so simple and can save you so much time.

Coming back to the hackintosh scene after an almost four year hiatus....

This guy's method looks overkill and fits his scenario.
My ideal scenario for backing up is,
Step1: I can freely create a complete image file with backup macos APP of the Hackintosh MacOS at chosen time, e.g. right before I go for a major OS update, in any other hard drive bigger (AOHDB) than MacOS, and I wish that AOHDB doesn't have to be formatted to become bootable(uefi) or not, which is most convenient.
Step2: Whenever my hacked OSx is broken, I can boot in to Windows and access the image file created from Step 1 and restore the whole system in one click.

So far, I can't find such thing, but using PE pendrive from macrium reflect professional https://www.macrium.com/ works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back