Contribute
Register

Why do you want to build your own Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
georgeba said:
Flight said: surfing with Zero viruses !! :lol:

This makes me wonder why I see Norton Antivirus for Mac. Hmmm. Or is it just a money making BS?

Actually there was quite a famous incident where a Mac botnot was formed from pirate copies of iLife containing a trojan. Mac users are a soft target for vxers as they seem to (wrongly) believe that Macs are supernaturally immune to malware.

Sophos is a good free AV package for Mac by the way.

Mac users are a soft target for vxers as they seem to (wrongly) believe that Macs are supernaturally immune to malware

This belief is promulgated by Apple, whose in-store placards are displaying a statement that MACs don't have viruses. I asked a salesman about this and I got a shrug of the shoulders :thumbdown:

georgeba said:
Mac users are a soft target for vxers as they seem to (wrongly) believe that Macs are supernaturally immune to malware

This belief is promulgated by Apple, whose in-store placards are displaying a statement that MACs don't have viruses. I asked a salesman about this and I got a shrug of the shoulders :thumbdown:

I've never seen such a placard.

Edit: In fact, quite the contrary; they sell anti-virus software in the store. :geek:

For many reasons:

I am an engineer so I would much rather put my own anything together than just buy something off the shelf (even though in this case it is just putting together several things bought off the shelf.)

I have become a huge fan of this community, and keeping up on the most current hardware and compatibility allows me to be at least marginally useful to some new comers questions.

I have always loved macs, but have become increasingly dissatisfied in their products over the years as they become more and more geared towards the technically not savvy. It has gotten that you need special tools and hours of time to replace parts that should be a matter of turning a few screws and swapping cables. I wish apple made a product that could be worked on and upgraded, but it is obvious that they never will. I have also been severely disappointed in Apple's warranty. You have to pay extra just to get a total of 2 years of service. The parts we buy off Newegg or Amazon all come with 3-5 years of warranty for no extra charge. I like that peace of mind.

Finally, it is possible for me to keep up with the most up to date builds. I built an LGA 775 hackintosh originally, and gave it to my parents so I could build an 1156 hackintosh, which I just sold to a friend, and I am not eagerly awaiting a consensus on what LGA 1155 mobo is stable to finish buying parts for my newest build ( I already have the ram/psu/5870 gpu)

I decided to build a hackintish for a few different reasons.

1) The exercise.

2) Power vs Price. My PC would have been a lot more expensive had I purchased an iMac/MacPro with these specs from Apple.

3)OSX is a MUCH better OS to using than Windows. I feel I have to sneak up on my Win 7 machine and trick it in to doing what I want. Ha ha

4) It's cool!

In my case I wanted to develop iOS applications full time. Currently have a 13" MacBook Pro but it doesn't cut it for me. Is not powerful enough and the screen is too small. To do graphic work in this is quite painful.

I wanted to buy an iMac (was actually waiting for the next refresh with Sandy Bridge) but honestly the only one I would buy would be the 27" but that comes o $2400 after tax (in Canada anyway) and I can't afford that.

So I decided to formally install Mac OS X on my desktop and go from there :) Maybe in the future depending how things go I'll buy the 15" MacBook Pro or even the 27" iMac.

About a year and a half ago, I bought a MBP 13" and loved it. The 13" didn't have enough power, and I wanted a gaming machine, so 6 months ago I decided to get a Mac Pro. I saw an article on Lifehacker about building a hackintosh and it led me here. Aside from cost, I was also drawn to Hackintosh because I refuse to use a "disposable computer", one that cannot be upgraded, only replaced. This wasn't my first build, but I hate tinkering and cable management and the gut wrenching feeling as the first post seems to take hours, but I love the end product.

Also,
Cost
Pretty case
Pretty LEDs
Upgrade-ability

Love the simplicity.
The easy integration with iDevices.. but mainly because of how superior Logic pro really is.

1. I'm a tinker type

2. Sick of endless Win7 security updates / malware / bloatware, you get the picture!

3. Most importantly, to learn something new !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back