Contribute
Register

Why do some USB 3 devices works and others don't (10.8.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z370-HD3P
CPU
Graphics
AMD 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have 2 Hackintoshes (see signature) and both treat my few USB 3 devices the same way. Only some of the devices work and the ones that do work on both. Is this related to the chipset that comes with the USB 3 device?

I am one of the lucky ones in that all USB 3 ports on my Hacks seem to function as USB 2 & wake from sleep correctly (with the exception of the USB on Apple Thunderbolt display).

What works on both of my Hack's as USB 3
- Media Sonic USB3 RAID enclosure
- WD 500GB Passport
- Seagate Backup plus portable

What doesn't
- G-Raid 4TB Drive
- Seagate 1TB Expansion portable drive
- plugable Communicator U3 (SATA hard drive USB3 dock station)

When the ones that don't work are plugged in I get the classic freeze.

Can some one please elaborate on this issue, I have the same exact mobo, and the same problem with the seagate 1tb external usb 3.0 hdd. When I connect the seagate hdd my system just freeze, then I have to reboot. How can I removed the USB 3 stuff that MB installed??? Anyone please, my mother's iphoto library is eating up like 50gb of space on my 128gb os drive, and I want to transfer the iphoto library to the seagate hdd.

I have the same issue with a very specific Seagate 1TB hard drive, the Backup Plus for Mac model, and my Asus Maximus V Extreme. I'm assuming your mobo has Asmedia for the additional ports?

I have a number of Seagate GoFlex portable 1TB and 1.5TB drives that work fine, as well as a Seagate Backup Plus portable drive that's not the Mac model. Funny thing is, if you take the interface from the Mac model and put it on the other drive, then that drive will freeze too. And take the interface from the non-Mac model and out it on the Mac drive and it will not freeze. So it's the interface that's causing it. I've also come across HGST Touro Mobile portable drives and Lacie d2 desktop drives that also cause OSX to freeze. And this is only with USB 3 Universal installed from MultiBeast. Not installing it makes the non-Intel (Asmedia) USB ports to not work.

im really hoping we can find a solution to this.

if you take the interface from the Mac model and put it on the other drive, then that drive will freeze too. And take the interface from the non-Mac model and out it on the Mac drive and it will not freeze.
what do you mean by interface?

The following on applied to my z77x-up5-th

I had previously installed the USB 3 driver via MultiBeast so i had to remove the items listed above in the link in post #2(Generic USB3 kext & xhcdump) The USB kext was easy as it is in System/Library/Extensions

I used the "Showall files" app. to find the xhcdump ....usr/local/bin

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10

I downloaded Kextwizard

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/

to rebuild the cache & repair permissions

You do need a copy of Windoz because the CD that came with your MB (or download from the GB site) that contains the drivers(USB3) for that chipset. Once I installed the Gigabyte drivers in windows all me USB 3 devices work in OSX (I only have the ones listed above) and so do ALL USB3 ports and I even have sleep. I do get the message about a drive being disconnected from the hack when waking but that is simply do to the MAcHack waking before the drive does. It shows up a second or 2 afterwards.

If you have windows it's a great way to solve the USB 3 issue, at least for me it worked

BTW, I even unplugged the PS and it still remembered to load the USB3 drivers and it still works

what do you mean by interface?

The following on applied to my z77x-up5-th

I had previously installed the USB 3 driver via MultiBeast so i had to remove the items listed above in the link in post #2(Generic USB3 kext & xhcdump) The USB kext was easy as it is in System/Library/Extensions

I used the "Showall files" app. to find the xhcdump ....usr/local/bin

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10

I downloaded Kextwizard

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/

to rebuild the cache & repair permissions

You do need a copy of Windoz because the CD that came with your MB (or download from the GB site) that contains the drivers(USB3) for that chipset. Once I installed the Gigabyte drivers in windows all me USB 3 devices work in OSX (I only have the ones listed above) and so do ALL USB3 ports and I even have sleep. I do get the message about a drive being disconnected from the hack when waking but that is simply do to the MAcHack waking before the drive does. It shows up a second or 2 afterwards.

If you have windows it's a great way to solve the USB 3 issue, at least for me it worked

BTW, I even unplugged the PS and it still remembered to load the USB3 drivers and it still works

What I mean by interface is the removable SATA to USB 3 interface adapter that comes with the drive. They are removable on those Seagate portable drives.

I'll have to try installing those drivers in Windows. I did download a firmware update for the Asmedia USB 3 chipset and installed that, but haven't been able to test the ports since then. I don't actually own one of the types of drives that causes the freeze.

I was able to try a Lacie portable USB 3 drive today. I removed the MultiBeast generic kext and installed the latest USB drivers from Asus' website (I have an Asus motherboard, not Gigabyte) with no luck. It still caused the freeze in OS X.

I also tried an older generic kext from MultiBeast with the same result. The CalDigit USB3 kexts from an older MultiBeast give me the white screen KP at startup.

Pretty much out of options it seems. :(

Update: Add G-Technology G-RAID drives to the list of USB3 drives that cause the computer to freeze when GenercUSBXHCI is installed. I just had this happen with an 8TB version. I have a couple G-Technology G-DRIVEs that are working fine though.

This seems to be a pretty wide-spread problem as I'm sure there's other drives out there that do this.

Pretty much out of options it seems. :(
Is installing windows and the MoBo's windows' driver's an option? I did it for about $100 (OEM windows 7 - $70 and 250 GB WB Blue drive -$25, both from ebay). This worked on my GB Mobo w/uefi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back