Contribute
Register

Why do Non-Gigabyte boards require mods and sound question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
CPU
INTEL i5 750 Quad Core
Graphics
AMD HD5850 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Why is it that boards from Asus, MSI, ASrock and etc require mods to run OSX and do all of them require mods as they are based on the same chipset?

Also the new ivy bridge Z77 chipset boards from Gigabyte use VIA audio. How do you tell the difference when looking at the specs online whether they use VIA or Realtek? All I see are AC989 and etc.

eosman said:
Why is it that boards from Asus, MSI, ASrock and etc require mods to run OSX and do all of them require mods as they are based on the same chipset?

Also the new ivy bridge Z77 chipset boards from Gigabyte use VIA audio. How do you tell the difference when looking at the specs online whether they use VIA or Realtek? All I see are AC989 and etc.

Sorry but what exactly do you mean?

The Z77 chipset is only an Intel specification of implementations which must be achieved, the only thing which must be guaranteed are things such as Socket, Speed, Lanes, USB v X.x Support, PCIe v X.x Support, etc.... or just let say, a chipset is just a main framework.
But which Hardware the Mobo Vendors are choosing for the implementation is their own decision, they can buy IO Hardware Chips from thousands of different vendors and each chip needs its own driver, has its own ID, own setting, own functions, etc...

As an example:
GA-Z77-D3H (rev. 1.0) <- is using VIA VT2021
and
GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.0) <- is using Realtek ALC887
Just see the specification and compair function, on each Mobo Vendor Side.

PS: sorry, english is not my primary language

JohnSmith42 said:
eosman said:

Sorry but what exactly do you mean?

The Z77 chipset is only an Intel specification of implementations which must be achieved, the only thing which must be guaranteed are things such as Socket, Speed, Lanes, USB v X.x Support, PCIe v X.x Support, etc.... or just let say, a chipset is just a main framework.
But which Hardware the Mobo Vendors are choosing for the implementation is their own decision, they can buy IO Hardware Chips from thousands of different vendors and each chip needs its own driver, has its own ID, own setting, own functions, etc...

As an example:
GA-Z77-D3H (rev. 1.0) <- is using VIA VT2021
and
GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.0) <- is using Realtek ALC887
Just see the specification and compair function, on each Mobo Vendor Side.

PS: sorry, english is not my primary language

I think what he is referring to is BIOS mods for native power management. Basically, it looks like the new UEFI gigabyte boards have some code in the BIOS that allows for native power management of the CPU (speedstep). If you use an Asus, MSI, or AsRock board this programming does not exist in the stock form of the BIOS so you have to flash it with a modded version for speedstep or use flaked's speedstepper patch to enable power management. As to why, I'm guessing it's because these boards aren't intended to run os x. There are probably some inside folks at gigabyte that have made this available in the new Z77 boards since they are a popular brand with the hackintosh community. Just a hunch...

Actually, it has nothing to do with that, but we can't go into the details as to why, but let's call it a lucky co-incidence.

Keep in mind that although all motherboard makers have access to the same "ingredients" they all make different products. As far the BIOS/UEFI goes, they all have their own teams that customise the crap out of what they get from the BIOS/UEFI makers and as such you'll end up with different features from different board makers.
As such, Gigabyte got a bit of a lucky break this time around by incorporating its features in a way that makes their boards work better with OS X. Of course, any of the board makers could implement the same settings, but as far as Windows is concerned, they've done what needs to be done and it's unlikely that their BIOS/UEFI engineers are going to spend any time on making their boards work better with OS X as it's not an OS that they'd bother supporting due to the fact that it was never intended to be installed on their products.

thelostswede said:
Actually, it has nothing to do with that, but we can't go into the details as to why, but let's call it a lucky co-incidence.

Keep in mind that although all motherboard makers have access to the same "ingredients" they all make different products. As far the BIOS/UEFI goes, they all have their own teams that customise the crap out of what they get from the BIOS/UEFI makers and as such you'll end up with different features from different board makers.
As such, Gigabyte got a bit of a lucky break this time around by incorporating its features in a way that makes their boards work better with OS X. Of course, any of the board makers could implement the same settings, but as far as Windows is concerned, they've done what needs to be done and it's unlikely that their BIOS/UEFI engineers are going to spend any time on making their boards work better with OS X as it's not an OS that they'd bother supporting due to the fact that it was never intended to be installed on their products.

Interesting...So what feature are they trying to support in other operating systems that just happen to make native PM work on os x?

In my opinion i think the answer can be just easy, we have just luck because a key Feature of all gigabyte boards is called "Ultra Durable", i think you can only handle/offer such features while taking over the power management. *just my thoughts about, not proofed*

Ultra Durable:
-Power Failure Protection
-Electrostatic Protection
-High Temperature Protection
-Humidity Protection

*sorry, english is not my primary language*

JohnSmith42 said:
In my opinion i think the answer can be just easy, we have just luck because a key Feature of all gigabyte boards is called "Ultra Durable", i think you can only handle/offer such features while taking over the power management. *just my thoughts about, not proofed*

Ultra Durable:
-Power Failure Protection
-Electrostatic Protection
-High Temperature Protection
-Humidity Protection

*sorry, english is not my primary language*

Those are physical properties of the motherboard design. They don't have anything to do with BIOS code.

wfj said:
Interesting...So what feature are they trying to support in other operating systems that just happen to make native PM work on os x?

Most likely better Linux compatibility, but I really don't know the exact details, I just know some changes have taken place and those changes were a positive thing in terms of how their boards work with OS X, although I'm 98% sure it wasn't deliberate.

thelostswede said:
wfj said:

Most likely better Linux compatibility, but I really don't know the exact details, I just know some changes have taken place and those changes were a positive thing in terms of how their boards work with OS X, although I'm 98% sure it wasn't deliberate.

Good info...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back