Contribute
Register

Why do I have 2 Catalina-Data partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of the next release, although the OS maintains both volumes (ie Catalina and Catalina - Data) you'll only see one volume (ie Catalina) on the desktop and sidebar. As described above the OS uses a firmlink to make 2 volumes appear as 1. If you explore with disk utility or efi agent, you'll see both volumes.
I do understand that.
But why do I have a total of 3 volumes? I have the main Catalina Volume, then I have two separate Catalina-Data volumes. That totals 3 volumes. Why do I have the two Catalina-Data volumes, when most installs have only 1? Can I delete one of them, and which one?

I wouldn't delete it. Just leave it as it is since it's not actually partition. macOS use Apfs which is different and macOS knows the difference by using the volume's HEX codes. Otherwise, you risk deleting something and macOS become unstable.

If you want to get rid of them then do a clean macOS install.

I wouldn't delete it. Just leave it as it is since it's not actually partition. macOS use Apfs which is different and macOS knows the difference by using the volume's HEX codes. Otherwise, you risk deleting something and macOS become unstable.

If you want to get rid of them then do a clean macOS install.
That's good advice. Thank you!

I do understand that.
But why do I have a total of 3 volumes? I have the main Catalina Volume, then I have two separate Catalina-Data volumes. That totals 3 volumes. Why do I have the two Catalina-Data volumes, when most installs have only 1? Can I delete one of them, and which one?

Not to jump all over the post but I can understand his confusion as I've done a comparison to his and mine, I also ask why is his showing two Data Volumes

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 08.28.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 08.28.57.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 54
I too, have one data volume per Catalina volume. I don't know why lend27 has two. Are they identical? If not, perhaps it's possible to determine which is firmlinked to Catalina by examining the application folders on each catalina - data volume. The mount point for one that is firmlinked to Catalina is /System/Volumes/. You might also examine the apps in the application folder for both. The one that matches the apps in Catalina is the one that is firmlinked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back