Contribute
Register

Who's buying a Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.
iCello said:
I guess I misspoke.

No problem. I respect your opinion, just try not to hate so hard. We all have different needs and preferences. Sometimes, having things that just work well and are integrated into an ecosystem that you genuinely enjoy works for some people. My inner geek, however, loves to tinker with Android.

As far as webOS goes, I just never gave it much thought. I like some of the things they have going with notifications (likely the best system out there) and their charging system and such. However, I just don't feel they have enough momentum, as well as the backing of an application database that is so important. I can say that I'm really excited that Apple recruited the guy that basically built their notification system, because it only means good things for iOS in the future (hence my reference to iOS 5 earlier).
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/palm ... -to-apple/

The thing about the xoom is it's bloody expensive! Also, despite the resolution bump, it doesn't have an IPS lcd, right?

Anyway, thanks to the 2nd poster :thumbup:
I never checked out the nook color. Seems cool for $250

The Xoom looks good, but with my impending change to work for a predominately Apple based company, an iPad 2 will probably be my next tablet.

I used a Galaxy Tab for a little while after selling my iPad, but even with many modifications, it was more like a big Android phone than the iPad is like a big iPod Touch.

Watching the iPad 2 keynote also showed Apple's ability to develop their own excellent software, which is unmatched by the likes of Samsung. Garageband and iMovie look like two great pieces of software, and some aspects of Garageband on the iPad look better than the OSX version.

At the moment, my fiancee lent me her Nook Color, so I am using that until I get an iPad 2, Honeycomb is ok on it, and the best Android OS for a tablet by far.

The Touchpad looks enticing though. WebOS has the best notification and multitasking systems out of all of the Mobile OSes, but without the apps, it feels like a PARC project. As in, every other Mobile OS will eventually use aspects of it in the future.

Is the nook color quick or slow?

I'm only going from the SD card, but on a class 4 SD card Honeycomb is a little slow feeling. Nookie Froyo feels stabler though. The nook isn't too good with video, you need to ensure it's baseline h.264, which is a shame because the good thing with the Galaxy Tab was that it could play 720p mkv files without breaking a sweat.

If it could play 720p mkvs that would be crazy
thanks

I won't be buying a Xoom, but I'm not a tablet person. I'm happy with having my iPhone for quick apps/games/other portable entertainment and my Macbook Pro for computing on the go. Tablets look like a great in-between option, but I'm not in the market for such an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back