Contribute
Register

who uses older (<10.13) OSX and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
researching, help? :( Need Intel 5520/LGA 1366 (cant be X58)
CPU
will be a LGA 1366 Xeon (or two)
Graphics
probably to be Nvidia (Quadro maybe)
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
Hi, i'm still in the research phase of my first hackintosh and i'm trying to pick brains to help understand things that may affect future build decisions.

I was told that 10.12 is the last OSX to actually allow you to use Final Cut Pro 7, even if it's already installed and working. (updating apparently breaks it) This makes me want either 10.12 only, or a dual boot system 10.12 and 10.13.

I know a long time ago they still had PowerPC emulation in OSX (I think no later than 10.4?) for people with really old apps, though very little other than probably a Pentium 4 will even boot that old, or maybe Core 2 Duo i'm guessing.

What else has dropped off along the way? I am curious if there is other software like this could work in older versions but has problems/gets broken in newer ones. Mostly in regards to Audiovisual stuff as that's my field of interest, but just also as a general curiosity. I am curious if there are any other older OSX versions worth planning builds or compatibility with.

Hi, i'm still in the research phase of my first hackintosh and i'm trying to pick brains to help understand things that may affect future build decisions.

I was told that 10.12 is the last OSX to actually allow you to use Final Cut Pro 7, even if it's already installed and working. (updating apparently breaks it) This makes me want either 10.12 only, or a dual boot system 10.12 and 10.13.

I know a long time ago they still had PowerPC emulation in OSX (I think no later than 10.4?) for people with really old apps, though very little other than probably a Pentium 4 will even boot that old, or maybe Core 2 Duo i'm guessing.

What else has dropped off along the way? I am curious if there is other software like this could work in older versions but has problems/gets broken in newer ones. Mostly in regards to Audiovisual stuff as that's my field of interest, but just also as a general curiosity. I am curious if there are any other older OSX versions worth planning builds or compatibility with.

I am still using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 on my main system based on Kaby Lake hardware, as I consider High Sierra to be still buggy, and I won't consider installing High Sierra until much later (perhaps after 10.13.4), and when I do I will install it in another partition away from my Sierra partition.

On my "Older Build" machine based on Sandy Bridge hardware I have every OS from Mountain Lion (10.8.5) to El Capitan (10.11.6) inclusive installed on different partitions on a hard disk, as a backup machine.

PowerPC emulation (called Rosetta) was last available in Snow Leopard (10.6) (it was removed in Lion and later) but if I remember correctly it was not installed by default and you have to choose to install it when you installed Snow Leopard to get this functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back