Radeon 5870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I have Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev 2.0 (http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4091#sp) with a G630 Pentium 2.7GHz, 2GB of RAM and onboard video. I followed http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html and booted the installer with '-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000' (after a bunch of trial and error) and did and install.

Post install I ran Multibeast 5.1.2 and selected UserDSDT or DSDT-free (with no aml on the desktop) and selected the Realtek 887 and Atheros LAN drivers, however I find that unless I boot in safe mode I get a spinning beachball on a white background (the mouse moves and so on).

I have tried another install with the AML from the DSDT database however that crashed earlier (something along the lines of expected 2 threads, only found 3) and in any case the guide says Gigabyte UEFI boards shouldn't need AML. Also the AML in the database is only F4 but the BIOS is version FE.

So, currently I can boot in safe mode and things sort of work, but it won't see my Time machine backup (supplied by FreeBSD+ZFS+AFPd) whereas my real MBP can. I also can't mount AFP shares (I tried mount_afp and got errno = 22). I am not sure if these are related to safe mode or not.

I have tried setting PCIRootUID=0 (and 1) but no change in behaviour. I also tried rolling AppleACPIPlatform.kext as per http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/74798-mountain-lion-10-8-2-problem.html but no change.

Further, after I did some tests I think the npci and other flags are red herrings - I removed them and the system booted (with -x - without it still no joy).

I don't really know what safe mode does so it's hard to try things one at a time to try and find out more.. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for tracking down the problem I'd be grateful :)

Edit: I put the wrong CPU in originally

1. What video do you have, HD3000 or HD4000? Or if you don't know, what is the model of your CPU?

2. Boot -v -x and when the text stops, take a picture and post it.

Is 2 GB ram even legal to run ML?

You explained what you used to boot, have you added those strings to your plist?

and definitely post that picture with -v when text stops, that should tell you it there is a missing kext or a kext that isn't working correctly.

Intel Pentium G630 has "Intel® HD Graphics". Not HD3000 nor HD4000. OSX does not support this type of graphics.

Good catch didn't bother to looks cause this wasn't under compatibility post.

Intel Pentium G630 has "Intel® HD Graphics". Not HD3000 nor HD4000. OSX does not support this type of graphics.

Yeah, I realised when I did my edit - I thought I'd ordered an i3 at the time but apparently not. The system was for another job but I was hoping to temporarily repurpose it :)

I will see if I can scrounge up an i3 and try it out.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

Is 2 GB ram even legal to run ML?

You explained what you used to boot, have you added those strings to your plist?

and definitely post that picture with -v when text stops, that should tell you it there is a missing kext or a kext that isn't working correctly.

I thought 2GB was the minimum and googling seems to confirm that. The picture with -v is in graphics mode not text - there's nothing to see :(

As someone else said it is likely to be the CPU.

I was just joki8ng with you its just this day and age for like 30 bucks you can get at last 4 GB

I was just joki8ng with you its just this day and age for like 30 bucks you can get at last 4 GB

Ahh right :)

This was the cheapest mobo, CPU & RAM I could find to replace the guts of an old system so 2GB was all I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back