Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, I just installed Lion over my SL partition to preserve Chimera which I need to boot into Lion, as using iBoot Legacy makes the boot sequence just freeze. I don't mean get stuck after a certain point, it actually freezes in the middle of a read out.

Anyway, so I have Lion over 10.6.8, and when I go through Chimera, with only the -v tag, it boots to a white screen with a cursor. I can move the cursor around, and if I do a lot of clicking it can go the the loading wheel.

I am just pretty confused right now, I am repairing permissions/repairing disk right now and we'll see how it goes.

Any help would be appreciated.
~Sean

snelan said:
Bump - Anyone?
why cant you use a vanilla kernel.. if you can then try getting iboot 3.1 and at the prompt type mach_kernel so you can boot into your lion desktop.. you can boot into lion with iboot but you must type the command or iboot will use its own kernel ...

Hmm, I see - I will definitely try this. I have heard that NVClockX.kext has this issue, so I deleted that, but still no desktop.

So I will try your idea and see how it goes.

EDIT: Does XMove add the NVClockX.kext, or the RadeonScanner.kext or what ever it's called? I think those might be my problem. I'm reinstalling Lion on a blank drive to test it's vanilla kernel.

Those 2 kexts are installed by multibeast in E/E. They are SMCPlugins and can sometimes cause problems. However, simply removing them from E/E won't do anything. You have to rebuild the mkext and redo permissions. To do that you could run something like kext utility. Lion should work as a clean install so the route you are going is what I would recommend. Only problem is that Chimera is going to use the extensions in E/E and if they are your problem then you're gonna be stuck.

Another thing you might try first though: boot with -x

-AC3

AC3 said:
Those 2 kexts are installed by multibeast in E/E. They are SMCPlugins and can sometimes cause problems. However, simply removing them from E/E won't do anything. You have to rebuild the mkext and redo permissions. To do that you could run something like kext utility. Lion should work as a clean install so the route you are going is what I would recommend. Only problem is that Chimera is going to use the extensions in E/E and if they are your problem then you're gonna be stuck.

Another thing you might try first though: boot with -x

-AC3

Well, I think you are dead on.

But currently I can't even boot into the Lion installer without Chimera. I'm gonna have to install SL and then Lion overtop, unless there is a portable Chimera of Chamelion. That I can boot from, like iBoot.

Awesome! Thanks again man!

I will definitely try what you are saying tomorrow, I ca finally understand why this wasn't working. It's just that, unfortunately, there is so little information on Lion right now.

So, I think I can get away with no extra kexts through multibeast, just Chimera. Space is not an issue, I am working with a 320GB drive now, and can go to a 1TB drive if needed. (Which is highly unlikely considering each install takes around 8 gigs)

I got away with:

IOPCIFamily.kext fix
IOUSBFamily.kext fix
BridgeHelper
NullAppleIntelCPU....kext fix

I'm going to install Lion on a separate partition now, and then boot to my SL partition and target Lion when installing Chimera, we'll see how that goes.

Same problem. A member suggested unplugging the cable from my GPU which also didn't work. I tried the vanilla kernel, the Sb 10.7.3 kernel.

I have noticed though, that sometimes it gets stuck on a white screen, and sometimes ona gray screen. I think it's either GraphicsEnabler=No, or -x that's affecting this. Even with GraphicsEnabler=No, it still works, usually my GPUs would enter panic mode and jump to 100% fan speed, and no signal, but that doesn't happen.

I am using the new Chimera boot loader, but it's different this time. Instead of just white text it shows the orbs. Weird.

Hmm bummer. Sorry it didnt work out right away :(. Well it does help that you are going off of a fresh Chimera. I assume it is v1.4.1 r877? Check the top right corner of screen to make sure.

Also, to clarify: you have SL 100% working with QE/CI and GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

Are you getting any output from -v? Have you tried -x -v to see if you can get any messages that way? Could you perhaps show what is in your com.apple.boot.plist from E/E in your SL partition - even though you targeted multibeast at your Lion partition, I doubt that your Lion partition has been made the active partition unless you did that yourself manually.

Sorry that's a lot of questions but it helps to double check everything.

EDIT: Wait a second - I just noticed it says crossfire in your profile. Have you checked to see whether crossfire is supported for your particular card? Perhaps you can try with just one? Did you have to do anything in SL to get crossfire working?

-AC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back