Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B250m Pro Opt Boost
CPU
i3 7350K
Graphics
RX 560
Hey all.

I did a search and read various old posts about white VS blue SATA on old Gigabyte boards.

My Hackintosh built in 2010 (Gigabyte P55 Ud4 + i7) is still going strong and working as lovely as the first day it was built, thanks in large part to this site.
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG

All of my blue SATA ports are used up on my motherboard and I recently decided to add a new drive, which I connected to one of the white SATA ports on the motherboard.

I read that I had to install the 3rd party drivers (jmicron) using Multibeast and I did that, but the empty drive doesn't show up in disk utility, I am running El Capitan.

So I went into the BIOS and I do see the drive there.

I took a picture of what the BIOS tells me about the drive. Does this seem correct and does anybody have any suggestion as to how I might make this drive show up natively in OS X? As I mentioned earlier, I did already install the 3rd party SATA drivers using Multibeast. Thanks for any help.

I also included a screenshot of my extensions folder.

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 3.28.18 PM.png

All of my drives are showing up as SCSI in the second screenshot, except for the new drive (Toshiba), which is showing up as CH 5 M.

I am assuming that the problem lies there somewhere?

And on the first screen, only the new drive is showing up on that list, while everything else is empty.

A-ha!

I believe that I see the problem!:clap:

On the first screenshot, the drive is showing up as IDE Channel 5 Master!

I certainly don't want IDE, I want SATA of course! The drive I bought is a SATA drive, not an IDE drive.

I suppose that I'll boot into the BIOS again and see if I can find out how I can make the drive show up as SATA instead of IDE.

Don't mind me!:lol:

I've just been thinking out loud here, and writing these posts helped me to solve my problem, even though there hasn't been any time for any replies yet.

Boom!:headbang:

I solved the issue, and I now have my brand new hard drive showing up natively in El Capitan, using the white SATA port.

There was a BIOS setting called onboard sata/ide ctrl, and for whatever reason mine was not set to AHCI, so after I changed that and booted into OS X, the drive showed up!

I'm not sure if the jmicron extensions that I installed earlier also helped, but either way, it's all good now, because my new drive works.:clap:

Thanks! I will be taking a look at that link later on.

I don't think that I've ever removed anything from that folder, so I'm not surprised that there is some junk there.

You have kexts which are from Chimera installed in there such as 3rd Party SATA, 3rd Party ESATA none of that is not needed with Clover.

You have kexts which are from Chimera installed in there such as 3rd Party SATA, 3rd Party ESATA none of that is not needed with Clover.

I see. Thanks for letting me know!

Those two 3rd party SATA and ESATA extensions were installed earlier today, when I was trying to solve my hard drive not showing up problem. I'll get rid of them.

I see. Thanks for letting me know!

Those two 3rd party SATA and ESATA extensions were installed earlier today, when I was trying to solve my hard drive not showing up problem. I'll get rid of them.

You need to verify in the BIOS that the SATA controller is set to AHCI and verify in ioreg that SATA is coming under SATA not SAT0. Which will help of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back