CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have overclocked to 4.5GHz, with a vCore setting of 1.33. However, the BIOS power management screen says it's 1.356 and iStat Menus says it's 1.41. Which one is correct and which one are others using for their recommended safe settings?

Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 with the Intel i5 2500k processor.

All voltage they reveal is Ok. No matter which one is accurately,Don't use that higher than 1.45V for a long term using except you want to test your processor ability ;)
Others will be fine for CPU health.
My system: 2600k 4.6G (46*100.6)
Working smoothly! :D

My cpu voltage is fixed at 1,408v no matter what I set in the bios, so my guess: it's not working for sandy bridge systems...

Default voltage for 32nm SB is 1.225V, to be in total safe area, I would say +10% voltage increase is max, that would be 1.35V for safe 24/7 but with proper cooling you can push it even higher.. to 1.4V for 24/7

Intel states in documentation that 1.52V is MAX for sandy bridge..

I have mine 2500K on 4.5GHz, 1.33V to be stable but my temps with scythe ninja 3 are 85 degrees in stability test, so it is max I can go...

I'm still having this issue, I'm assuming we don't have a real fix?

I think it is reading the VID and not the vcore. My temps say I'm all gravy, and my BIOS reads out fine.

Sitting at 4.8 GHz (5 hours prime stable) at 1.385v

macpro24 said:
I have overclocked to 4.5GHz, with a vCore setting of 1.33. However, the BIOS power management screen says it's 1.356 and iStat Menus says it's 1.41. Which one is correct and which one are others using for their recommended safe settings?

Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 with the Intel i5 2500k processor.

iStat does not indicate the correct voltage of CPU or Memory on Sandy Bridge systems.

Go by BIOS indication or even better, install Windows on another hard drive and use:

Intel Extreme Tuning (i had issues with the temp monitoring with this.)
CPU-Z
CPU Thermometer
Prime95

I believe if you enable allow real time changes in OS in the BIOS, you can boot into windows, run Prime95, the temp monitor, cpu-z (to monitor cpu voltage), and change the Vcore voltage on the fly with the Intel Extreme Tuning app.

I've had setups that run prime95 with no problems in os x but when I switch to windows i get the blue screen of death. I hate to say it, but you have more and better access to monitor temps and voltages from windows than with mac os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back