Contribute
Register

Which software for a full backup of the disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P9X79 Pro
CPU
Xeon > need model #E5-2697V2
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi all,

Since my new fresh install on Big Sur, I'm looking for a software to make a full backup including of my disk, which means both partitions (EFI + System) in FAT32 and APFS.

It seems that :
- Acronis True Image doesn't support APFS
- Paragon Backup & Recovery for Mac doesn't support Big Sur
- Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't backup the EFI partition

What would you recommand?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Since my new fresh install on Big Sur, I'm looking for a software to make a full backup including of my disk, which means both partitions (EFI + System) in FAT32 and APFS.

It seems that :
- Acronis True Image doesn't support APFS
- Paragon Backup & Recovery for Mac doesn't support Big Sur
- Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't backup the EFI partition

What would you recommand?

Thanks.

If you can boot a Linux dist from another drive and the backup drive is least equal in size, or bigger, than the source drive, you can use GNU ddrescue (a variant of classic dd) to make a block-for-block clone.

If you have another Mac you can also use ddrescue from macports or homebrew, but you'll want a util to to force the Mac to treat the source drive as read-only or to not mount its contents. There is at least one free 3rd party menu-bar util to restrict mounts. You will want to specify the "raw" device special files for the source and target, because the regular block special files have very limited throughput (idk why, but they do). So use /dev/rdiskX instead of /dev/diskX as source/target specifiers. You cannot access drive for this kind of copy if system is booted from it, for various reasons.

ddrescue --force /dev/rdiskX /dev/rdiskY map

This clone can be quit and restarted because progress is saved in map, and the clone is tolerant of read errors. So this is a very useful forensic / recovery tool. The target drive will be a block-level copy, so keep in mind later effects of system identifiers and other transient state.

Bombbich Carbon Copy Cloner online docs have a good writeup on stuff that CCC does not back up to help your thinking.

Thanks guys. Well, CCC requires a working Mac to restore data? I ran the EFIClone script in test mode as post-execution but I can't find any log to confirm it worked.

Do you think the Linux method would work even with Big Sur? Since Apple added this signature thing... And is it possible to make an image file from the whole disk? Because I don't want to clone one SSD to another SSD. I just need an image disk that I can restore anytime.

Last edited:
The signed system volume is designed to ensure that what's in the volume is not changed. I don't believe it can key the volume to a specific drive.

I used it to rescue a complete working Big Sur install when I was struggling with falling Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMe drives during a new build last spring.

Other success stories: I used it was a couple months ago as way to clone a mixed boot Linux / Windows drive to a larger drive. This involved cloning volume-by-volume, along with using Gparted GUI to create a new drive layout, add a partition, resize partitions, and give partitions their needed flags to better accommodate the existing builds, including EFI / stage2 GRUB, with more room in an existing Windows volume and a smaller Linux. Also, around that time a friend lost a HFS+ drive to corruption that Disk Utility couldn't repair, so used ddrescue to clone whole drive, which revealed there were no read errors, so ran Disk Warrior on clone and it successfully rebuilt the volume and all data was recovered without loss. I've recovered numerous failed systems with ddrescue and can't say too many good things about that program, it's a very valuable tool. Read its docs for amazing usage scenarios, such as reassembling a complete CDROM from multiple spoiled copies, or otherwise merging blocks to repair broken systems.

Great stuff, but you have to comprehend the data structures at the level of what you want to accomplish.

As I said before, a whole device clone is just a device-to-device rescue. If you prefer to image the source as a file on another larger drive, it does this too.

WARNING: GNU ddrescue has no awareness of any higher level structures for the devices. They are just arrays of blocks. What you must watch out for is not letting anything change blocks on the source or target until the clone is completely finished. And you have to consider the higher level implications of the copy. For example, how to increase partition size on target after cloning to bigger drive, how to deal with special partitions such as support the type of drive layout and era of OS, e.g. MBR vs GPT, BIOS vs EFI, HFS+ vs APFS, etc and so on. Oh, and of course do not clone to wrong target. :)

Hopefully these clues will help you on your way. Please don't forget to think.

Best of luck

That's great. I'll use that then. I can boot on an Ubuntu USB key and I know a very little bit terminal commands because I have Centos on another machine. However, would you please explain me which command to use to make an image file instead of a cloning disk-to-disk?

Just found this exemple (with sdb):
ddrescue -f -n /dev/sdb /root/sdb_rescue.img /root/rescue.log

Should I change to (with source as disk #2 in disktutil):
ddrescue -f -n /dev/rdisk2 /root/sdb_rescue.img /root/rescue.log

Can i run directly from my other PC on Centos? It's independant from SATA controller, I guess.

Last edited:
Just found this exemple (with sdb):
ddrescue -f -n /dev/sdb /root/sdb_rescue.img /root/rescue.log

Should I change to:
ddrescue -f -n /dev/rdiskb /root/sdb_rescue.img /root/rescue.log

Yes. Just to be super clear, /root needs to be somewhere other than the source :)

You have to discover the device special file naming as appropriate to the platform, so on linux it will usually be /dev/sdX (or nvmepX blah blah) whereas on Mac all drives are /dev/diskX

The "r"disk thing only applies when running ddrescue on macOS and it's only about IO speed. For some reason on Mac the non-"r" specials can't go faster than about USB2 (30MB/s) no matter how the drive is attached.

HTH

It could be wise to try reversing your image and ensuring you can boot it before repurposing the source drive so you avoid any surprise. Prove to yourself this works before you trust it. Carry on

Here are my logs. Sounds right?

# Mapfile. Created by GNU ddrescue version 1.25
# Command line: ddrescue -f -n /dev/sdd /run/media/lucius/Video1b/IMF/OSX.img /run/media/lucius/Video1b/IMF/OSX.log
# Start time: 2021-11-10 18:54:05
# Current time: 2021-11-10 18:56:19
# Finished
# current_pos current_status current_pass
0xEE8150000 + 1
# pos size status
0x00000000 0xEE8156000 +

No read error or bad blocks according to the terminal.

Thanks man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back