Contribute
Register

Which parts should I buy for my Hackintosh Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
CPU
i5-4590
Graphics
HD 4600 + HD 7950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All,

I successfully hackintoshed my laptop few days ago! I want to proceed and hackintosh my desktop build as well. I built my desktop couple of years ago, it has been running Windows 8.1 and Linux smoothly. I really want to enter the OS X side of things, and after much research, it looks like my current parts aren't compatible (Machine is running on AMD hardware). I looked for cheap solutions, whether a new system, or replacing some parts, trying to find a solution that would future-proof the computer.

Anyways, this is my current build:

• CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5'' 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: Saphire Radeon HD 7950
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
  • Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I don't want to create a new entire build, and instead was hoping to just swap some of the parts out, and I think this might be possible. This are the current parts I am looking at:

• CPU Options:
    1. Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    2. Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    3. I am open to other viable options too!
  • Motherboard Options:
    1. Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    2. Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    3. I am open to other viable options too!

The parts would be a new motherboard, and a CPU. I was wondering, would replacing these two parts be compatible with the rest of my build? I am trying to keep things on the cheap side, ($250<). My main purpose of this machine is for iOS programming (XCode), Autodesk, Photoshop, and minor video editing (All I'd probably use Windows for, as I would just dual boot). I of course plan on adding a 120GB SSD later on. As for the GPU, my current GPU is still top-notch, and is a high performer, I am assuming that it should work.

Other things I want to mention is, I am also looking for some kind of Bluetooth functionality, and some sort of cheap WiFi option would be cool, but not required. I am always plugged into the Ethernet connection. I also use three 1080P monitors with this desktop.

I guess my overall question is:

1. Does swapping the CPU and Motherboard make everything compatible for installing Mac OS X on my desktop computer without a big issue, or running into any issues in the future?

2. Are the parts that I selected as possible replacements good price for the buck? I really am looking for something cheap, but also of a great value. For instance, I see some motherboards for identical prices, along with the CPU that are maybe $5 or $10 more than the ones I have currently selected, is it wise to choose those over the parts I have selected right now?

3. And lastly - Can I use both my GPU and the internal video card on the GPU? I can always plug in one monitor directly to the motherboard, and the other two to the GPU, if that works.

Thanks!

Buy "Intel". You can't go wrong with Intel computer parts.

Buy an Intel-i3 haswell at least. Intel-i5 or i7 would be better.

However an Intel-i3 haswell performs just fine for everyday use. I you plan on doing allot of video rendering then get a quad core Intel-i5 or i7.

Check this webpage for some known OS-X compatible component options and performance benchmarks.

https://sites.google.com/site/199lenovots140hackintosh/component-options

Here are some GeekBench benchmark comparisons.

CPU Benchmarks

Dell XPS 8700 with Intel-i7-4790, ( $700 )...........................(4823 single core)and ( 19381 multicore).
Mac Pro 2014 - 4-core Xeon, ( $3000 Base model )............(3274 single core)and ( 13027 multicore).
TS140Intel Xeon E3-1225, ( $300 ), 4gb Ram,120gb SSD.(3220 single core) and (11952 multicore).

iMac-27, 2014 -Intel i5-4690 (4cores), 1tb Fusion Drive......(3541 single core) and (11350 multicore).
TS140 -Intel i3, ( $199 ), 4gb Ram, 120gb SSD................(2911 single core) and (6334 multicore).
Mac Mini 2014 - Intel i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive.............(2418 single core) and (5142 multicore).

Hard Drive Benchmarks

Dell XPS 8700 with Samsung PCIe SSD SM951...................(write -1570mb/s) and (read -1716mb/s)
TS140 with Samsung PCIe SSD SM951.............................(write -1570mb/s) and (read -1716mb/s)

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Dell XPS 8700 with Intel 750 PCIe SSD.......................(write -1243mb/s) and (read -1506mb/s)[/FONT]
TS140 with Intel 750 PCIe SSD...............................(write -1243mb/s) and (read -1506mb/s)
Mac Pro 2014 - Xeon, $3000 Base model , PCIe SSD ...(write - 783mb/s) and (read - 915mb/s).
TS140 with Kinston Predator PCie ..........................(write - 663mb/s) and ( read -1189mb/s)
Dell XPS 8700 with Samsung Evo 850 mSata SSD.........(write - 525mb/s) and (write - 550mb/s)
TS140 with Samsung Evo 850 120gb.......................(write - 489mb/s) and (read - 505mb/s).
TS140 with OCZ SSD blackmagic benchmarks.............(write - 368mb/s) and (read - 436mb/s).
iMac 27, 2014 Fusion Drive blackmagic benchmarks...(write - 292mb/s) and (read - 629mb/s).
Mac Mini 2014 500gb. hard drive benchmarks..........(write - 90mb/s) and (read - 103mb/s).

Graphics card benchmarks

Observed Cinebench scores ( Higher is better ).

Nvidia Geforce GTX 980...................................( OpenGL 149fps ) ( CPU 824cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan.................................( OpenGL 126fps ) ( CPU 811cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX 780...................................( OpenGL 122fps ) ( CPU 802cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970...................................( OpenGL 114fps ) ( CPU 573cb )
AMD Radeon R9 290x......................................( OpenGL 112fps ) ( CPU 812cb )
iMac 2014 5K AMD Radeon R9 M295x................( OpenGL 105fps ) ( CPU 781cb )
AMD Radeon R9 280........................................( OpenGL 94fps ) ( CPU 560cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650ti……….........................…( OpenGL 89fps ) (CPU 1056cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750ti..................................( OpenGL 85fps ) ( CPU 637cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX 760....................................( OpenGL 82fps ) ( CPU 581cb )
Nvidia Geforce GT 740......................................( OpenGL 79fps ) ( CPU 206cb )
AMD Radeon R9 270.........................................( OpenGL 78fps ) ( CPU 240cb )
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960....................................( OpenGL 73fps ) ( CPU 914cb )
Mac Pro 2014 Dual AMD FirePro D300 ................( OpenGL 73fps ) ( CPU 736cb )
AMD Radeon R7 260x….................................……( OpenGL 73fps ) ( CPU 337cb )
DELL XPS 8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 745.............( OpenGL 72fps ) ( CPU 463cb )
Mac mini 2014 Intel HD 5000 graphics.................( OpenGL 23fps ) ( CPU 228cb )
Lenovo TS140 , Intel Haswell HD 4600 graphics....( OpenGL 22fps ) ( CPU 213cb )
Nvidia Geforce GT 610 ( Lenovo TS140 ).............( OpenGL 16fps ) ( CPU 338cb )

Nvidia Geforce GT 610 Graphics card benchmarks out twice better/higher than Intel HD 4000 graphics and better than an Intel i5 graphics. I just used the 610 because it was inexpensive and it has all the ports ( VGA, DVI, HDMI ). Plug and play for OS-X and MS-Windows. The AMD R9 280 appears to be the best value budget video card judging by it's performance specs. However I was able to create and render this video just fine with the Nvidia Geforce GT 610 and can run dual monitors just fine at 1080p. Movie play back in Blu-ray or standard DVD works fine.

Go to the PSU site - look up your exact PSU model number.
Is it Haswell ready or Haswell Certified? If no, buy new PSU, 9 series mainboard and CPU selected from the Buyer's Guide to suit your budget.
If yes, just purchase 9 series mainboard and CPU selected from the Buyer's Guide to suit your budget.
Everything else you have will work OK.

Sorry for the late response, I was traveling so didn't get a chance to reivist this thread. I had ended up making an order of my parts, which was the CPU and Motherboard.

For my CPU, I chose the Intel i5 4590
For my Motherboard, I chose the Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150

Glad to hear everything should work on my machine besides that. Two questions here:

1. When it comes to installation, which one is the best method you'd recommend for a clean, and issue-free install?
  2. I also am seeking Bluetooth functionality, my desktop is always stationary, so WiFi is no big deal. Should I just buy any regular Bluetooth USB dongle, or is there better options like a PCI card or something?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, I was traveling so didn't get a chance to reivist this thread. I had ended up making an order of my parts, which was the CPU and Motherboard.

For my CPU, I chose the Intel i5 4590
For my Motherboard, I chose the Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150

Glad to hear everything should work on my machine besides that. Two questions here:

1. When it comes to installation, which one is the best method you'd recommend for a clean, and issue-free install?
  2. I also am seeking Bluetooth functionality, my desktop is always stationary, so WiFi is no big deal. Should I just buy any regular Bluetooth USB dongle, or is there better options like a PCI card or something?

Thanks!

1. Have only the drive you are going to use connected - no others connected - during install.
Use the Clover guide and install Clover as your boot loader.
2. See the BT recommendations in http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-august-2015.html#Accessories

I see there is no combination of WiFi + Bluetooth, I just went ahead and went with the Bluetooth USB dongle.

Currently waiting on the Motherboard which should arrive tomorrow, than will get into Hackintosh testing mode :)

I got my parts! I will put it all together tomorrow morning, I am so excited!

So I am trying to use the Clover build, but I am having a hard time here, for some reason, when I go to my Yosemite partition, it loads up to a gray screen on all of my three monitors, and there is a quick blue flash that happens every few seconds. I see the mouse pointer(arrow) though, not sure if that helps.

Aditionally, I can't find much documentation on what is best recommended for BIOS specifically for the motherboard I am using, can anyone help me on that side of things too?

Would love to get this up and running soon! :)

So I am trying to use the Clover build, but I am having a hard time here, for some reason, when I go to my Yosemite partition, it loads up to a gray screen on all of my three monitors, and there is a quick blue flash that happens every few seconds. I see the mouse pointer(arrow) though, not sure if that helps.

Aditionally, I can't find much documentation on what is best recommended for BIOS specifically for the motherboard I am using, can anyone help me on that side of things too?

Would love to get this up and running soon! :)
You are now past the buying experience - for problems installing you should post in the Installation>Yosemite forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back