Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey All

I know a guy who has a job lot of unloaded G5 and Mac Pro Cases. Which is easiest to Mod?

I want to use a mATX board and a http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-modular-removable-motherboard-tray-p-56.html or maybe use http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/motherboard-trays/

Any friendly advice?

I'm asking here as opposed to researching as I'm at work using my iPhone in the toilets, skiving to send this message and time is of the essence!

P.S. I have 4 Hard drives, 2 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5" (in 3.5" brackets)

I am unsure what you mean by "unloaded". i recommend that you use a G5 Power Mac for a first time case hack. Key here is obtaining a complete system so that you don't have to go purchase the missing pieces that you will need (such as the PSU and the front panel IO assembly).

Good modding,
neil

By unloaded I mean they have been gutted. Nothing in them. The reason I'm interested in this particular seller is because they're cheap as they don't have anything in them.

This is the only picture I have of what he's selling. Looks to me like Mac Pro, but in a recent correspondence trying to obtain more information about the case he just said,

"Just tell me what you want as I have both models".

What should I be looking for? What would put you off before buying?

Thanks Neil. I know you're a legend here. Excellent builds.

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k6w-BReQ6m7!Sg~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k6w-BReQ6m7!Sg~~60_57.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 179
The picture you're linking to is not a Mac Pro, it's a PowerMac G5 - or that's what it looks like to me. In the top back of the case you can see the HDD case, which gives it away as a G5. That is where the Mac Pro would have a PSU.

If you look at the back of the two cases, it's easy to distinguish them:
PowerMac G5:
- Power inlet hole is in the bottom the case.
- It has room for two 92mm fans.
Mac Pro:
- Power inlet hole is at the top of the case.
- It has room for a single 120mm fan.

As to which is easiest to mod, I'd say go with a G5 - but if you can, try to avoid the 2005-model. Those are supposed to be harder to connect the front panel to the hardware. If you look inside the case, and you see a cable running from the front panel OR a 20-pin connector, you should be looking at a 2003-2004 model. (Edit: looking closely at your linked picture, that seems to be just the G5 model you'd want!) The 2005-model is supposed to have a tiny board connecting to the motherboard, not a cable. Someone else feel free to chime in here, I am very new to all this. Hope it helps still.

Well as I said, this guy has both models, so I'll be going for a PowerMac G5. Thanks for the advice.

As I said earlier, I have 4 HDDs. How could I accommodate all 4?

I saw from another build that Dschijn used a Lian Li EX-H34S caddy.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/83498-dschijns-g5-mod.html

Over here in UK, I could get something very similar, but I've seen that Neil doesn't approve!

By unloaded I mean they have been gutted. Nothing in them. The reason I'm interested in this particular seller is because they're cheap as they don't have anything in them.

This is the only picture I have of what he's selling. Looks to me like Mac Pro, but in a recent correspondence trying to obtain more information about the case he just said,

"Just tell me what you want as I have both models".

What should I be looking for? What would put you off before buying?

Thanks Neil. I know you're a legend here. Excellent builds.

Yes the case in your photo is a G5 Power Mac and the issue with this stripped case is that it is missing the PSU, rear fan bracket assembly and the Optical drive (which has 4 Apple shoulder screws needed to properly mount the OD).

If you had this case and needed those parts you would have locate them and possibly spend too much for the parts plus shipping.

Also, if possibly you should inspect the case prior to purchasing. Most of us want a nearly perfect case to start as these project machines become an extension of your self when you put so much effort into the "hack".

Good modding,
neil

For reasons that will be obvious to some I will stay off the subject of what kits to use (!) and make a quick comment on Mac Pro and G5.

If the guy is basically on the point of giving (or letting you have very cheap or at the same price rock bottom price) you a G5 or a Mac Pro I would say get the Mac Pro. This is not because it is easier to mod (it isn't the G5 is wayyyy easier) BUT the Mac Pro is a lot more expensive to buy as a case and therefore more desirable to have. Just my two UK pennies here.

Edit: On second thoughts I would say buy both a G5 AND the Mac Pro if they really are a bargain. Then you can do the G5 mod first to gain experience and then do the Mac Pro (or sell the Pro case on to help finance your G5 build).

Well I just won a PowerMac G5 for £11. :problem:

Not sure I wanted it. But I'm going to collect it this weekend.

Photos to follow!

You surely won't regret it at that price. Well done.

Well I just won a PowerMac G5 for £11. :problem:
That's a very nice price, can't get much cheaper than that.

Not sure I wanted it. But I'm going to collect it this weekend.
I'm sure you'll change your mind when you get the case and start modding. ;)

Edit:
[...] as these project machines become an extension of your self when you put so much effort into the "hack".
That is the truest thing I have read ever.

Oh, and to answer your question in the first post, I'd say go with the Laser Hive back plate. I have no experience with the MountainMods one, but to me the Laser Hives are more aesthetically pleasing and the one I got was so easy to install. The instructions that follow makes it very easy to see where you need to cut the back out, and installing it fits like a glove. And the option for 1x120mm fan or 2x92mm is just a lot more true to the Apple design - plus you get the option to go mATX or full ATX. That's the route I'd recommend you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back