Contribute
Register

Which is preferable for g5 mod. Two fans or one fan kit from Laser Hive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Corsair water pump was actually quite noisy after the last firmware update. I simply disconnected the fan speed control line from it and plugged the Noctua fans directly to the board.

The pump noise is gone and the fans are dead quiet. Apparently Corsair will RMA the stock fans for PWM ones, but for all the hassle of shipping I just chose to purchase two Noctua's myself.

Fixed.

Two identical fans may be able to be quiet but they will "beat" if running off the same voltage source.. You will hear four sounds when listening to two fans.. the original frequency of each fan (nearly the same).. their sum and, the annoying part.. their *difference* and this will sound like a low frequency thrumming kind of sound that varies - think wah-wah-wah-wah-wah.. I have often tried multiple fans and this beating sound I find very annoying. I would go with one.

If you want dead silent, go with the 120 kit and a water cooler system. Replace the two stock fans with Noctua PWM 120mm fans in a push/pull setup and throttle them down to less than 500 rpm through bios.

You can hear a pin drop, I kid you not. Laser Hives 120 kit works like a charm with a water cooler radiator configuration.

Ersterhernd

I agree w/ you ersterhernd. I can testify to this as I have a Noctua NH-U12S and (1) 120mm Noctua fan in the back of my rig while using the Laser Hive mod kit, and it's a lot quieter than my older rig. My fans are on auto at like 900-1000rpm and it's still slightly quiet.

Please can i just ask how you did this in the BIOS (gigabyte board)? I have been playing with the settings but cant seem to get them to slow, they either spin on max, or not at all.

Look for "PWM multiplier" if you set fan speed to manual in BIOS.... then try out the different multipliers.

I found that on cold boot, the BIOS ignored the multiplier, but it worked after a reboot. If you encounter that, please report it... I don't think they took my bug report seriously.

Look for "PWM multiplier" if you set fan speed to manual in BIOS.... then try out the different multipliers.

I found that on cold boot, the BIOS ignored the multiplier, but it worked after a reboot. If you encounter that, please report it... I don't think they took my bug report seriously.

Thanks,

Report it to gigabyte?

Thanks,

Report it to gigabyte?

My motherboard would ignore the multiplier on cold boot. It would honor it on a reboot.

If you see behavior like that, you may want to use the Gigabyte ticket system to report the bug if it happens to you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back