Contribute
Register

Which graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the 4xx & 5xx series of NVIDIA cards don't work well enough to recommend them. See Fully Compatible NVIDIA Graphics Cards for Mac OS X which is why most successful builds are using the AMD/ATI technology.

Second, Snow Leopard doesn't support the 69xx series, yet. So, you're limited to the 57xx, 58xx,...and 68xx series of AMD/ATI technology.

Tony & MacMan are in the last stages of getting the bugs out of Sandy Bridge iBoot and MultiBeast. :clap: With the announce of the updated iBoot and MultiBeast, there will be recommended MBs, Graphics Cards and builds. So, hang in there! :thumbup:

In the meantime, look at Tony's recommended builds - see link in my signature block. The three builds have cards that work.

sfroom said:
If you're looking for a balance between power and compatibility, the GTX 2xx series can't be beat. Anything from the GTX 260 or higher. These cards are fully compatible, extremely easy to install, and don't suffer from the "fermi freeze", like the 4xx series.

I'd recommend either going with a GTX 260, which you should be able to find for ~$100, or a GTX 285. Don't buy a GTX 295...it uses two GPU's, and isn't hackintosh compatible.

GTX 275
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI18SJnG ... ideo_title

Stork said:
In the meantime, look at Tony's recommended builds - see link in my signature block. The three builds have cards that work.

I am now thinking about going with Diamond ATI Radeon HD5870 but I am still wondering.. will this be silent when idle? (I do not care much about the noise under load..) Is the fan control fully working with these cards on the Mac side? (I vaguely remember some issue with fans spinning on 100% speeds a while ago with some cards..)

... or how much less powerful is Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770? Would it be enough for good details HD for Mafia II (on the Win side) and Portal 2?

For my silent needs looks best this one: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3584, anyone has experience with it?

sfroom said:
If you're looking for a balance between power and compatibility, the GTX 2xx series can't be beat. Anything from the GTX 260 or higher. These cards are fully compatible, extremely easy to install, and don't suffer from the "fermi freeze", like the 4xx series.

I'd recommend either going with a GTX 260, which you should be able to find for ~$100, or a GTX 285. Don't buy a GTX 295...it uses two GPU's, and isn't hackintosh compatible.

the 295 is compatable i have one, a dual pcb, and im using it, follow this guide, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1338125

sfroom said:

Ok, do you have a recommendation for a particular make/model? Something from the higher end but fairly silent..

Also, as I do not know much how powerful the 2xx cards actually are, would they be able to support gaming at 1920x1200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back