i7 6700
Graphics
XFX Rx480 OC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
So.
After successfully building another hakintosh system I am waiting for an advice about a GPU purchase for my system.

In an amazing Silverstone FT-03 mini ITX case
i have a:
gigabute Z170N
i7 6700k
16GB of Ram
water cooler for the CPU
Silverstone 450W 80 Gold power supply

But now I have to choose my GPU...
So many new cards are popping out, from Nvidia and from AMD..and i just cannot make up my mind.

I need it for video editing on Final Cut and premiere CC as well as working with lightroom.
I have a mini ITX case but i believe i can fit a nice GPU inside as the 980Ti..

but Im looking at the moment at the GTX1070 and the amd RX480...
did anyone in the community had managed to get one of these amazing new cards running smoothly?

How many GPU's are you planning on running? Be sure to make sure your PSU is enough to run it. 450w is good enough for one GPU, but if you're thinking about running 2 in SLI, then you might have to step up your PSU. The i7 6700k 140w and one GPU ranges around 300w.

So.
After successfully building another hakintosh system I am waiting for an advice about a GPU purchase for my system.

In an amazing Silverstone FT-03 mini ITX case
i have a:
gigabute Z170N
i7 6700k
16GB of Ram
water cooler for the CPU
Silverstone 450W 80 Gold power supply

But now I have to choose my GPU...
So many new cards are popping out, from Nvidia and from AMD..and i just cannot make up my mind.

I need it for video editing on Final Cut and premiere CC as well as working with lightroom.
I have a mini ITX case but i believe i can fit a nice GPU inside as the 980Ti..

but Im looking at the moment at the GTX1070 and the amd RX480...
did anyone in the community had managed to get one of these amazing new cards running smoothly?

The case you have is very nice. Unfortunately it supports only up to a 10" GPU. The 1070 is 10.5". Because you'll be using both Premiere and FCPX you will need a card that ideally supports both CUDA and OpenCL. The only card I know of that does that well is the GTX 970 and it's 10.5 also unless you can find a different supplier who's made a shorter card.

TL;DR there's no reports of pascal running on OSX -that is of course assuming someone hasn't written their own drivers and isn't telling us- and I think it will be something to wait for when Sierra is out and Pascal is a little more established
Nvidia have never been quick to release next-gen drivers and there's no saying they'll definitely do it this time round. We're pretty much relying on them doing continued support to get apple back on team Nvidia (considering the only apple computer officially capable of running external NVIDIA graphics is the old mac pro)

At this rate; you're looking at getting last-gen -2nd hand market should be filling up (dare I say going down in value too) with everyone buying new cards- or holding out until Nvidia releases a driver, which took 6 months for maxwell (so I'm told)
My money is on Nvidia giving us support, and I'm going to be dual-booting windows for games anyway so I'm probably going to get a 1060 and pray we get support while suffering a non-accelerated OSX. As for your needs; weigh up how soon you need to be editing with what you have now over buying an inferior card and replacing it within a year~.

Over the last two days i actually thought a lot about the RX480.
9.5 inches that could fit my case as well as better support over final cut( need it for video editing).
but as with Nvidia we need to wait for drivers.:beachball::beachball::beachball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back