Contribute
Register

Which FW800 or Thunderbolt PCI cards work with Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mav 10.9.2 GA Z68-UD5-B3
CPU
Intel i7 2600k
Graphics
xfx radeon 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just wanted to hear from actual user experience which of the ultra fast external hard drive connection cards work perfectly with hackintosh. Z68 boards preferably.

Not sure if there are any thunderbolt cards yet.

I use the Dynex 2-Port FireWire 800 & 1-Port 400 PCIe (DX-PCI2PF). I think it's no longer in production. Here's several site where you can see if it's available:
eBay Search for DX-PCI2PF / Another eBay Search / OWC Search
The last site is for Other World Computing (MacSales) which is a Mac production site that's been around a long time. Their PCI Firewire cards work.

@ lucky777s

I am using this card, SIIG 3 Ports FireWire 800 PCIe Card Model NN-FW0012-S1.
Works OOB. It is strictly a 1394b, but there are others using various cards. :wave:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815150151

Just bought an old LaCie FireWire 800 PCI Card 107755 for $20 off of Ebay and put it in the lone PCI slot on my mobo -- worked fine out of the box!

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-FireWire-800-Card-107755/dp/B00009XZY5

It's a 64-bit PCI-X card, but it works in a standard 32-bit PCI slot. I haven't tested it extensively, so it's possible that one might loose some throughput if you're hanging three RAID arrays off it, but I just need it to attach small Firewire 800 drives occasionally.

Excellent news. Glad to hear so many cards work well with our Hacks. I thought I was going to have change MoBo's but with the new Lin2Mac ethernet driver curing my random freezes and the availability of FW800 cards I don't think that will be necessary.

Thanks for the input. Keep sharing as I am sure many others will be interested as many of the higher end Hacks are used for video editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back