Graphics
gtx470
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Which board to buy for Mountain Lion other then Gigabyte, have three now that are dead the last one Z77X-UD5H Wifi. I live in Canada and it will cost me over 120.00
to rma it back. First choice would be MSI and then Asus as MSI I can RMA here in Canada if I need It.

Which board to buy for Mountain Lion other then Gigabyte, have three now that are dead the last one Z77X-UD5H Wifi. I live in Canada and it will cost me over 120.00
to rma it back. First choice would be MSI and then Asus as MSI I can RMA here in Canada if I need It.

best choice is still gigabyte. you must be doing something wrong. out of probably 30 gigabyte installs i have done i have only had one board go bad. And if RMA is an issue buy the board in canada.

If you want to go with another vendor thats fine but make sure you do your research.

g\

"best choice is still gigabyte" That's clearly an opinion only... Here's another one, look at the Asus P8Z77-M Pro... It's fast, stable, and extremely easy to setup. DSDT free with modded bios.

Just a curious question, why not gigabyte if its recommended by tony? DSDT free

"best choice is still gigabyte" That's clearly an opinion only... Here's another one, look at the Asus P8Z77-M Pro... It's fast, stable, and extremely easy to setup. DSDT free with modded bios.

its not really "just an opinion" i'm afraid. there are reasons for that answer. If your specifically wanting to hackintosh a system and you want to use THIS website and THESE tools to do it you will get MUCH better support if you use a gigabyte board. That was the question and that is the factual answer.

Otherwise like i said get ready to do some research because OBVIOUSLY there are other alternatives but they are not the focus of support from this site.
g\

its not really "just an opinion" i'm afraid. there are reasons for that answer. If your specifically wanting to hackintosh a system and you want to use THIS website and THESE tools to do it you will get MUCH better support if you use a gigabyte board. That was the question and that is the factual answer.

Otherwise like i said get ready to do some research because OBVIOUSLY there are other alternatives but they are not the focus of support from this site.
g\
I won't debate you on Gigabyte vs. other boards as that would certainly be not wise here. The fact is that these tools where not designed specifically for gigabyte boards and work equally well for all brands... This is especially true with the new UEFI bioses out there and the longer needed DSDT... Additionally user support for other MB's is growing everyday.

The thing is, we recommend Gigabyte simply because there's nothing to do to make the boards work apart from maybe a couple of BIOS/UEFI settings on the 7-series LGA-1155 boards.
In as much as other boards may work just as well once you've flashed an unsupported BIOS/UEFI, you've pretty much voided your warranty as far as the manufacturer is concerned, if they really wanted to be silly.
I have nothing personal against any of the other brands, but as soon as you start having to deal with modified BIOSes and that kind of stuff, it's no longer something we can recommend, especially considering that it's hard enough to get people to upgrade their BIOS/UEFI in the first place.
Sure, there are several Gigabyte models that are far from perfect for a hack and in most cases, in terms of hardware spec, there are better options from other manufacturers, but they don't offer the same kind of UEFI support as Gigabyte does and until they do, we can't recommend them.
Hopefully this makes sense, as we're not pro Gigabyte for the sake of being pro Gigabyte.

The thing is, we recommend Gigabyte simply because there's nothing to do to make the boards work apart from maybe a couple of BIOS/UEFI settings on the 7-series LGA-1155 boards.
In as much as other boards may work just as well once you've flashed an unsupported BIOS/UEFI, you've pretty much voided your warranty as far as the manufacturer is concerned, if they really wanted to be silly.
I have nothing personal against any of the other brands, but as soon as you start having to deal with modified BIOSes and that kind of stuff, it's no longer something we can recommend, especially considering that it's hard enough to get people to upgrade their BIOS/UEFI in the first place.
Sure, there are several Gigabyte models that are far from perfect for a hack and in most cases, in terms of hardware spec, there are better options from other manufacturers, but they don't offer the same kind of UEFI support as Gigabyte does and until they do, we can't recommend them.
Hopefully this makes sense, as we're not pro Gigabyte for the sake of being pro Gigabyte.

My first build was a Gigabyte, and it made the process much easier for a noob. My new build is with Asus, but I generally knew what I was getting myself into before I started. The gigabyte boards are certainly better-supported in here, though. There's no question about that. Even specific tutorials are created for them.

If I could have found a Gigabyte board that met my personal needs, I would have used them again. Such was not the case this time around, but I still agree that they're the best choice if you can find one that works for you.

I would recommend ASUS over Gigabyte or ANY other brand.
In order to make it work perfectly, you'll have to flash it, but really, it's no big deal.
About the warranty, consider the Sabertooth Z77, it has a 5 years warranty. What does that mean ? It means that ASUS is confident enough to assure you that you won't have any problems the 5 first years, which means by the time you may have a problem with it, you'll be considering uprgrading your components, if not already done.

Then, ASUS is a very solid brand in every way, and you have to consider that your build is not Mac OS X limited, you may want, in a couple of years, to get back to windows, or whatsoever.
My advice is to compare motherboard on there specs at first, then have a look at their OS X compatibility. As far as I know, every ASUS Z77 motherboard work, with no issues, while there are many among Gigabyte one's.
Can't tell about MSI thought.

You do know that Asus no longer manufacturers its own boards?
They're made by FIC and ECS these days, so we'll see how long they can keep the quality up...

Gigabyte even makes a fair share of its boards in Taiwan still, rather than China...

Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back