Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Which 2TB NVME should I buy for a dual boot machine using Catalina ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7 10700
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I’m planning a dual boot build for music (Logic / Ableton), work (Also MACOS) and occasionally some gaming (WIN 10).
I went for the classics (Z490 Vision D, I7 10700, 5700 XT…).
For the Windows system, I bought a 500GB SN750 NVME from WD.
For the Catalina system, I aim for a 2TB NVME (so I can store my most used sound & sample libraries) , and this is where I get stuck...

I’ve read the entire “Do the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives work ? New Firmware Available 2B2QEXM7” thread and I still have no idea which 2TB NVME I should choose.
These are the choices I’m offered price wise and stock wise at this exact moment:
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (421 €)
  • Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 2TB (434 €)
  • Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 2TB (299 €)

Here is why I’m still clueless; from what I read:
  • Nobody recommends the Sabrent (I’ve seen some builds on the Technoli Youtube Channel but always around 256 / 512 GB not bigger). Is the Sabrent safe for the MACOS system with a 2 TB size ?
  • I’ve read that the SN 750 is great for the 512GB size; anyone has built a Hackintosh with the 2TB version of the SSD for the MACOS system ?
  • I’ve read the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 To is ok but what about the 2 TB ? Is it ok for the MACOS system ?

I would appreciate some feedback from persons who already have an up and running Hackintosh with the MACOS system on a 2TB version of one of those 3 SSD.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

M.

Last edited:
I decided to go for the 970 EVO 2TB - MZ-V7S2T0BW since @BlvckBytes was kind enough to reply quickly to my question on another thread.

I shall receive all the components under 10 days and I'll keep you updated on the - I hope - success !

Cheers,

M.

Care to share why no "Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2"?

@EnzoFerrari, I went with the "common sense" of the multiples sources / thread I had read so far regarding Hackz.
Plus, some specifics from my country where the 2TB SSDs are rare and I wanted more a professional feel on the supplier than just Amazon.
Plus, I've read some great infos / benchmarks on the 970 EVO 2TB (my needs are focused mainly on loading bit samples libraries for music purposes).
Hope my explanations are clear.

Cheers,

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back