Contribute
Register

Where to get ATX cable ends for G5 front I/O conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so these cables will definitely work for my g5 i/o to my atx motherboard?

If you are referring to the wires from the Microcenter that Neilhart identified, absolutely! :D I used StarTech's BEZELWRKIT ($6) plus their 18" Internal 5-pin USB Header Cable ($5) to fabricate a cable that connected the power LED, power button, and front USB. I bought some shrink tubing from my local Home Depot store to make the final cable look more professional. With the BEZELWRKIT you even have the leads labeled properly. I used a Lamptron 3mm tailed LED ($3: blue, white, or red) to provide a disk activity indicator.

0218616_598821.jpg
0351277_115659.jpg
20130301_174605.jpg

0390212_460196.jpg

With the final result below:

20130216_160850.jpg20130125_133014.jpg

You do need some soldering skill, but not the ability you'd need soldering motherboard components, and a small push pin is very useful for removing wires from the G5 front panel connector. :mrgreen:

Tom

If you are referring to the wires from the Microcenter that Neilhart identified, absolutely! :D I used StarTech's BEZELWRKIT ($6) plus their 18" Internal 5-pin USB Header Cable ($5) to fabricate a cable that connected the power LED, power button, and front USB. I bought some shrink tubing from my local Home Depot store to make the final cable look more professional. With the BEZELWRKIT you even have the leads labeled properly. I used a Lamptron 3mm tailed LED ($3: blue, white, or red) to provide a disk activity indicator.

0218616_598821.jpg
0351277_115659.jpg
View attachment 48170

0390212_460196.jpg

With the final result below:

View attachment 48171View attachment 48172

You do need some soldering skill, but not the ability you'd need soldering motherboard components, and a small push pin is very useful for removing wires from the G5 front panel connector. :mrgreen:

Tom

I was reading your post on this article about a Custom Power Mac G5 Front IO conversion to ATX cable that you made custom from parts from Micro center. i brought the same parts from Micro center, the Star Tech Front Bezel Wires and the 18" Internal 5-pin USB Header Cable. I was wondering if you could tell me which cables you solder to on the front power mac G5 io pin?

Thanks, Taylor

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/74772-where-get-atx-cable-ends-g5-front-i-o-conversion.html

Alohacab @ insanely
I think there is also another one selling there as well but I cannot remember

+1 on eelhead's suggestions. As easy to install as taking chili out of can. ;)

I was reading your post on this article about a Custom Power Mac G5 Front IO conversion to ATX cable that you made custom from parts from Micro center. i brought the same parts from Micro center, the Star Tech Front Bezel Wires and the 18" Internal 5-pin USB Header Cable. I was wondering if you could tell me which cables you solder to on the front power mac G5 io pin?

Thanks, Taylor

No problem. First go to Eelhead's post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/77208-g5-front-panel-quick-guide.html

You will find very good instructions there including this diagram:

Screen Shot 2013-10-13 at 7.43.29 PM.png

I did not hook up Firewire or Audio, so here's what I connected:

Pin 2 on the G5 Front Panel Connector to either the power switch or power LED ground on your motherboard
Pin 13 on the G5 connector to the power button + on the motherboard (which is to say that you connect the colored wire on the power switch lead to Pin 13 and the black or white wire to Pin 2)
Pin 14 on the G5 connector to the power LED + on the motherboard (only the colored wire on the power LED wire needs to be connected since a proper ground is provided by the power button lead, though you can also tie the other wire to Pin 2 if you'd like)
Pin 9 on the G5 connector to Pin 1 on a USB header connector
Pin 10 on the G5 connector to Pin 7 on a USB header connector
Pin 11 on the G5 connector to Pin 5 on a USB header connector
Pin 12 on the G5 connector to Pin 3 on a USB header connector

The end result is that the power button works, the power LED works, and the front panel USB is functional, which is all I wanted.

I hope this properly answers your question.

Tom

No problem. First go to Eelhead's post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/77208-g5-front-panel-quick-guide.html

You will find very good instructions there including this diagram:

View attachment 69902

I did not hook up Firewire or Audio, so here's what I connected:

Pin 2 on the G5 Front Panel Connector to either the power switch or power LED ground on your motherboard
Pin 13 on the G5 connector to the power button + on the motherboard (which is to say that you connect the colored wire on the power switch lead to Pin 13 and the black or white wire to Pin 2)
Pin 14 on the G5 connector to the power LED + on the motherboard (only the colored wire on the power LED wire needs to be connected since a proper ground is provided by the power button lead, though you can also tie the other wire to Pin 2 if you'd like)
Pin 9 on the G5 connector to Pin 1 on a USB header connector
Pin 10 on the G5 connector to Pin 7 on a USB header connector
Pin 11 on the G5 connector to Pin 5 on a USB header connector
Pin 12 on the G5 connector to Pin 3 on a USB header connector

The end result is that the power button works, the power LED works, and the front panel USB is functional, which is all I wanted.

I hope this properly answers your question.

Tom

Thanks,
everything works, plus the front audio port with help from Neilhart.

-Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back